"Mini-Disasters"

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

"Mini-Disasters"

Post by Pilot »

So, the incident's involving the Flying Scotsman the other week got me thinking whether a series of what I am calling "mini-disasters" could be implemented into the game, either via a patch, or another way.

What I would suggest would be the following:
Trespassers
Overhead Wire damage
Temporary flooding in low-lying areas/valleys
Trees falling onto tracks

Each "mini-disaster" would come with it's own graphics, and would be random in the case of trespassers, and semi-random in the case of the latter three.

For example, an Electric train with poor reliability would be more likely to damage the overhead wires, a line at the bottom of a valley/cutting/etc would be more likely to be flooded, and a line through a heavily wooded/forested area would be more likely to have a tree fall on it. This would cause the player to think about where they are building their infrastructure more, and take an even bigger interest in their trains being reliable (maybe the overhead wires could actual replace a more normal "breakdown" for electric trains), and as such make it more challenging for them.

Not sure how feasible it would be to implement, but just an idea I've had floating around my head for a short while now!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Mini-Disasters"

Post by Redirect Left »

the overhead line damage, especially if tied to unreliable electric trains would serve as a good bit of encouragement to get those trains looked after, which is always good.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

All sounds like good realism. How about cable theft too, if you have colour light signalling?
HockeyD8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HockeyD8 »

Maybe if you're closing in on a larger company you could be sabotaged?
:!: :idea: I'm nice so I'll do anime sketches for free just PM me. :idea: :!:
I need someone to play minecraft with :(
I want some grilled cheese. :|
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

There's been many disaster propositions but this one's a good one.

I think the more a station will be crowded, the more trespassers there will be nearby.
The more an electric train is unreliable, the more it should damage overhead wires, as said.
Same thing for flooded areas - I agree with what others have said.
As for trees onto tracks, considering they're somewhat tall, they should also damage the catenary.

I also propose another disaster - burning forests.
During summer (June to August, only in Temperate climates), there will be a chance for forests to catch fire. These fires could damage catenaries, tracks, buildings, etc.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I had similar idea with economy.
Beside overall economy collapse, they would be following events and their effects (and fancy newspaper graphics):
* Miners strike - steam running costs x4, ship speed /2 and running costs x2 (for ships designed between 1850 and 1950), coal production decreased. Such event occur randomly between 1900 and 2000.
* Oil crisis - road vehicles running costs x4, ship speed /2 and running costs x2 (for ship designed after 1950), oil production decreased. Such event occur randomly after 1970.
* Power grid failure: electric running costs x4, electric locomotives power /2. Such event occur randomly from 1990.
* Angry mob riots in city X: all station belongs to such city loose their ratings to 50%, if are already above 50%. Such event occurs randomly after 1790.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
HockeyD8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HockeyD8 »

How about once you're at 2100 you could get space debris falling down and breaking a road/track piece?
I also think sabotage should happen, maybe between 1950 and 2050.
:!: :idea: I'm nice so I'll do anime sketches for free just PM me. :idea: :!:
I need someone to play minecraft with :(
I want some grilled cheese. :|
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I think sabotage should happen between 1900 and 2000, on any rail piece, where a tile would explode when a train would pass and the train would be destroyed.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

acs121 wrote:I think sabotage should happen between 1900 and 2000, on any rail piece, where a tile would explode when a train would pass and the train would be destroyed.
The "children ripped up the tracks, replaced them with sticks of dynamite coated in metallic paint" disaster? I like it.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Drury wrote:
acs121 wrote:I think sabotage should happen between 1900 and 2000, on any rail piece, where a tile would explode when a train would pass and the train would be destroyed.
The "children ripped up the tracks, replaced them with sticks of dynamite coated in metallic paint" disaster? I like it.
Children that worked with the "Résistance" in France did this kind of thing during the Second World War, although OpenTTD needs to not mention any conflict so it can be played by all ages. This being said, if this kind of thing was made generic, it could be done in OpenTTD.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

I quite like the idea of a signal failure. A random signal gets stuck on green. Depending on where it is, it may cause a crash instantly or in 50 years time. If the player spots it before it causes a problem, it can be removed and replaced.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

how often do you think that happened in the real world, say, in the last 100 years?

signalling systems around the world are designed in a way that, if it ever fails, it fails into the "red" position.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Unhappy passengers resulting in a reduction of payment would make a nice wee disaster ......https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-4936733 , or how about robbery ....https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... s-20190607
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Eddi wrote:how often do you think that happened in the real world, say, in the last 100 years?

signalling systems around the world are designed in a way that, if it ever fails, it fails into the "red" position.
How many times in the last 100 years has a spacship blown up a landed UFO?
A signal stuck on red is less fun.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”