Enhancement requests

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nescio
Engineer
Engineer

Enhancement requests

Post by Nescio »

- Place an asterisk (*) behind the names of cities to enable distinguishing them from ordinary towns with a single glance at the map or town directory
- When generating maps, place coordinate signs at intervals of 64 (e.g. 31,31, 31,95, 95,31, 95,95, etc.); names are identical to the coordinates (this will assist in giving an idea where you are, especially on large maps)
- Include coordinates in station and town windows
- Add a “go to” functionality which allows you to type the x,y-coordinates and centres on that tile when you hit enter
- Add vehicle comparison tables in the main menu, which includes base costs and default introduction and retirement years
- Add an easily accessable list of hotkeys in game
- Allow customizing hotkeys
- Allow rotating the map (e.g. CTRL+PLUS and CTRL+MINUS rotate the map by +90° and -90°, respectively)
- Include a capable AI in the standard distribution (playing without any competition is not very challenging)
ST2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Enhancement requests

Post by ST2 »

Well, I'm not OpenTTD dev but I know and understand that OpenTTD is opensource, which it's maintained with the contributions of devs, players or simply curious people. And that's why I'll reply point by point, as a player, but that makes his own experiences too, around OpenTTD code:
- There's already patches to show what towns are Cities, Town List, Minimap and Main map;
- IMHO, spam map with coordinates isn't the solution, it's only "visual noise". If you don't know where you are in map, play smaller ones!;
- Land Information tool shows what you need, the Coordinates xD;
- "go to" command already exists, simply open console and type "scrollto <coordinate>"
- "vehicle comparison tables" - vehicle list already allows filter for what you're searching for the most higher. A table to compare vehicles available on the current "newgrf's" would be huge. But, as I said, it's opensource, maybe you could grab it as your starting point ^^;
- "hotkeys.cfg" file :P;
- previous mentioned file (if want new shortcuts... code source is open ^^);
- Rotating map will be hard, because industry images aren't made with graphics for the 4 possible sides you mentioned;
- As far I know, no AI's are included in main distribution/installation - Reason: you can Download and select the AI's you want via Check online content and enable them on AI/Game script settings. This give you the chance of choice and not forced to use a AI included by default. And AI's are developed by different persons; what criteria to use on AI to include?! So, for the sake of free choice, solution was already told!;

As said, OpenTTD is openSource and everyone can download it, change it, make tests, report bugs and suggest new features. And that includes yourself too! ^^
Guess it's all xD
Nescio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nescio »

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply! Yes, I'm fully aware OpenTTD is open-source, however, that doesn't mean it's easy or straightforward to actively contribute to modifying the code.

- Which patches do help distinguishing cities from towns?
- Concerning generating coordinates signs, intervals of 64 tiles imply you'll most likely see just one sign when at default zoom level; besides, it's very easy to hide all signs (CTRL+1 or CTRL+SHIFT+1); furthermore, if such an option would be included, it would obviously be possible to toggle it on or off. I agree it's not *the* solution, but it certainly will help orientating in large maps.
- How to access the land information tool?
- Thank you for pointing out the scrollto console command! By the way, how do you scroll back in the console? When I type list_cmds, I can see only the last 30
- Yes, it's possible to sort the available vehicles in game; however, it explictly omits future and retired ones. Including comparison tables in the main menu would allow comparing *all* vehicles before starting a game; furthermore, being able to look up introduction dates, retirement years, and base costs independently of inflation or current game year would be quite helpful.
- Thanks for pointing out the hotkeys.cfg file; I'm nor surprised such a file exists, however, it's hard to find something when you don't know what or where you're looking for.
- Vehicles, depots, stations, roads, terrain, etc. already have four sides. Are the industries the primary reason why rotation isn't impemented? Creating those few additional industry graphics oughtn't be too difficult.
- Don't understand me wrong, I'm not at all asking for a default AI *instead of* the option to download multiple AIs, no, I'm asking for a default AI (which can make profits without bankrupting itself on all types of maps and with all kinds of vehicles) *in addition to* the possibility to download other AIs; a default AI could act both as a point of reference for other AIs and as a fall-back option for players who do not know which of the many AIs to choose.
ST2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ST2 »

hello :)

- Cities/Towns, on a quick search found this;
- Personally, I don't see the benefits on it, but each player have his own opinion;
- Land area information;
- About Scrolling in console;

You'll be surprised on the results you can get from a search engine, or even the Search feature on tt-forums ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can make a GameScript that places these "coordinate" signs.

and vehicle comparison tables you might find in the wiki

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”