Help! OpenTTD required a "graphical update" and now I can't play

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

chinaguy
Engineer
Engineer

Help! OpenTTD required a "graphical update" and now I can't play

Post by chinaguy »

I had to install new graphics on my computer. OpenTTD opened, but all the settings were back to default. There were no newgrfs, no game saves at all. Fortunately I had the gamesaves in another file folder, but when I opened them I got this [message](https://i.ibb.co/RCnrFh1/openttd-broke.png). What can I do to get my favorite game to run again?
kamnet

Re: Help! OpenTTD required a "graphical update" and now I can't play

Post by kamnet »

What do you mean when you say that you had to install new graphics on your computer?

What version of OpenTTD did you install and try to open your games on?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Where (exact folder) did you find your old savegames?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm very much guessing right now, but are you perhaps trying to open your savegames via Windows File Explorer, either by double-clicking the files, or by drag-dropping them onto the OpenTTD program file? Because that's definitely not possible, and would result in the window you posted a screenshot of.

Another possibility is that you made a shortcut to OpenTTD and somehow added an invalid commandline parameter to it, and are trying to start via that shortcut.

Either way, you're leaving out some information that's important to understand what you did and what exactly is happening, so please try describing in more precise detail what you did, and what you are doing now.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

jfs wrote: 02 Sep 2021 17:44 I'm very much guessing right now, but are you perhaps trying to open your savegames via Windows File Explorer, either by double-clicking the files, or by drag-dropping them onto the OpenTTD program file? Because that's definitely not possible, and would result in the window you posted a screenshot of.
If OpenTTD really isn't capable of opening a savegame file by double-clicking, that is something that really should be fixed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Taschi wrote: 02 Sep 2021 18:06
jfs wrote: 02 Sep 2021 17:44 I'm very much guessing right now, but are you perhaps trying to open your savegames via Windows File Explorer, either by double-clicking the files, or by drag-dropping them onto the OpenTTD program file? Because that's definitely not possible, and would result in the window you posted a screenshot of.
If OpenTTD really isn't capable of opening a savegame file by double-clicking, that is something that really should be fixed.
It is possible, but you need to give an additional commandline switch. You can set up a file association that does the right thing, but since OpenTTD uses the very generic .sav file extension it'd easily catch files belonging to different games or applications, making further confusion.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

jfs wrote: 02 Sep 2021 18:33 It is possible, but you need to give an additional commandline switch. You can set up a file association that does the right thing, but since OpenTTD uses the very generic .sav file extension it'd easily catch files belonging to different games or applications, making further confusion.
Yeah but if the .sav file extension already is associated with OpenTTD, as it seems to be in OP's case, I don't see any reason why OpenTTD should not at least try and load the file without an additional command line switch.

If this is just a decision somebody made a decade ago which can't be easily changed now, I perfectly understand that - but otherwise I think that operating system standards for passing a file to a program and for user-defined file type associations should generally be respected if at all possible.
chinaguy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chinaguy »

kamnet wrote: 02 Sep 2021 13:04 What do you mean when you say that you had to install new graphics on your computer?

What version of OpenTTD did you install and try to open your games on?
I tried to open it on this one. Maybe I just accidentally upgraded OpenTTD?

openttd-jgrpp-0.37.0-windows-win32

Part of the issue might be that the savefiles have a whole bunch of newGRFs. I could try to find more of them online but I don't have a list.

By the way thank you so much for the quick responses, this means a lot to me.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

It sounds like your game isn't starting properly at all. If it's just your savefiles that are missing GRFs then it should look like this:

Anyway, my guess is that your new install is looking at the openttd.cfg in Documents/OpenTTD while your old install was looking in its own install folder or somewhere else, that's why your settings and GRFs haven't transferred over.
Have you tried copying the openttd.cfg and newgrf/baseset/content_download folders from your old install folder to your new one? By the way jgrpp-0.37.0 is quite outdated now, 0.42.3 is the latest; and unless your computer is quite old you should download the 64 bit version.
Attachments
missingfiles.PNG
missingfiles.PNG (70.17 KiB) Viewed 681 times
chinaguy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chinaguy »

Emperor Jake wrote: 03 Sep 2021 05:44 It sounds like your game isn't starting properly at all. If it's just your savefiles that are missing GRFs then it should look like this:

Anyway, my guess is that your new install is looking at the openttd.cfg in Documents/OpenTTD while your old install was looking in its own install folder or somewhere else, that's why your settings and GRFs haven't transferred over.
Have you tried copying the openttd.cfg and newgrf/baseset/content_download folders from your old install folder to your new one? By the way jgrpp-0.37.0 is quite outdated now, 0.42.3 is the latest; and unless your computer is quite old you should download the 64 bit version.
That worked! Thank you very much.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”