FIRS4 w/o anything else

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

stefros
Engineer
Engineer

FIRS4 w/o anything else

Post by stefros »

Hi,

i modified a map of northern germany (existing scenario) adding FIRS4 since it was lacking any interesting industry pack.

But now see what happened. The Cattle transport is transporting coal... for some materials transportation is missing completely (year 1937). Do i ALWAYS need additional vehicle packs (newGRFs) when playing FIRS4?

Best
Stefan
Attachments
firs4.PNG
firs4.PNG (64.3 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
kamnet

Re: FIRS4 w/o anything else

Post by kamnet »

1. Saves and scenarios must be generated with the intended industry set (whether the default game industries or a NewGRF industry) in order to work properly. If you try to switch industry sets after its generation, then it will 99% assuredly break all the intended industry chains and corrupt your game. And as complex as FIRS is, that is absolutely assured. And, if you need further assurance, I have personally experienced this problem years ago when I, myself, boldly thought that I could just finesse it through and make it work, both with trying to update from default industry to FIRS 2, and later from FIRS 2 to FIRS 3. It is a fool's errand.

2. Anytime you use a NewGRF industry set, you must also use a NewGRF vehicle set, as the default game vehicles currently do not recognize NewGRF sets (this may change in the future, but not promises). If you like the default game vehicles, then consider downloading OpenGFX+ Trains and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. There aren't equivalents for the ships and aircraft. However, pretty much any NewGRF vehicle set developed in the last decade will support NewGRF industries. The author of FIRS has also released his own sets of trains, road vehicles/trams, and ships which automatically support FIRS industries.
stefros
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS4 w/o anything else

Post by stefros »

Thanks a lot, works like a charm! :)

Hint: to get rid of some error messages that might appear having different vehicle packs on top of an existing scenario, one can type "set dynamic_engines on" into the console. :)

When I changed the industry set from standard to one of the FIRS ones I did an "remove all industries" and "put random industries", which worked pretty well. There might be some hidden traps when switching inside of FIRS however...

edit: also interesting viewtopic.php?p=1216215#p1216215

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”