Never transport specific cargo

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

spinfold
Engineer
Engineer

Never transport specific cargo

Post by spinfold »

I have recently discovered OpenTTD after playing the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe franchise growing up.

I'm just getting into the game again but it seems there is one thing missing which I used to use all the time in TT: "Load full <particular cargo type>"

For example when playing with a train which has built-in capacity for a small amount of mail in the driving cabs, if I add a whole load of passenger carriages to it I can make good money with very long passenger trains between big cities.

HOWEVER

Every time it loads at a station, 12 piece of mail are included in the journey and transported to the other city. This means that hundreds of pieces of mail build up at both stations expecting to be transported. As the train only takes 12 at a time the council get angry because the mail service is bad.

I don't want to transport mail! If I did I would add a mail train or at least some separate mail carriages to the passenger train. In the original game you could give the train an order of "Go to Station A, unload all mail... Go to Station B, unload all mail... repeat". This mean that mail was never transported, and after a short while no mail was ever sent to the station, meaning the train - despite having capacity for mail - never transported mail.

It seems this isn't possible in OpenTTD? What's the solution to this problem?

(I think mail on trains is the only time this happens - every other cargo type needs a specific vehicle, and different types of cargo are not combined together except on some designs of trains)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Never transport specific cargo

Post by Wahazar »

If you are playing with default trains, you can refit train heads to the cargo you need (when train is stopped in depot).

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”