How to transfer between two stations?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

How to transfer between two stations?

Post by unbeatable_101 »

I have my network set up so trucks should load up valuables, take them to a train station, then the train takes them over and more trucks take them to their destinations. Those same trucks then bring valuables from the bank, put them on the train, and the same thing happens.

What actually happens though is the train unloads, the loads up what it just transferred to the station, the trucks do this too.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: How to transfer between two stations?

Post by Taschi »

First of all, you can't transfer "between two stations", your truck terminal and train platforms need to be part of the same station. Hold CTRL while building stations to manually link them. If they're directly adjacent, they get linked automatically.

Then, you need to set your vehicles to "Transfer and leave empty" at the interchanges. See screenshot. It's in the dropdown menu next to the "Unload" button.
Attachments
transfer.png
transfer.png (39.18 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unbeatable_101 »

Taschi wrote: 07 May 2021 18:28 First of all, you can't transfer "between two stations", your truck terminal and train platforms need to be part of the same station. Hold CTRL while building stations to manually link them. If they're directly adjacent, they get linked automatically.

Then, you need to set your vehicles to "Transfer and leave empty" at the interchanges. See screenshot. It's in the dropdown menu next to the "Unload" button.
I was doing that, but then they won't pick up the valuables that have been dropped off for them to bring back. Is there even a way to do this with one train or should I just use two?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Oh, yeah, that might be problematic.

I'd suggest, enable Cargodist in the advanced options, that'll take care of that.
unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unbeatable_101 »

Taschi wrote: 07 May 2021 18:57 Oh, yeah, that might be problematic.

I'd suggest, enable Cargodist in the advanced options, that'll take care of that.
Symmetric or Asymmetric?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

unbeatable_101 wrote: 07 May 2021 19:14 Symmetric or Asymmetric?
Either should work fine for Valuables, Passengers, and Mail - i. e. everything that is produced and consumed at the same place. I prefer "Symmetric" for those. For industry products, "Asymmetric" or "Manual" makes more sense.
unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unbeatable_101 »

Seems to be working, thanks!
unbeatable_101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unbeatable_101 »

alexjulii wrote: 01 Jun 2021 10:02 I was doing that, however then they will not get the resources that have been dropped off for them to bring back. Is there even an approach to do this with one train or would it be a good idea for me to simply utilize two?
That is almost exactly what I asked, turn on Asymmetric or Symmetric cargo distribution for the type of cargo you are trying to transfer
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

alexjulii wrote: 01 Jun 2021 10:02 I was doing that, however then they will not get the resources that have been dropped off for them to bring back. Is there even an approach to do this with one train or would it be a good idea for me to simply utilize two?
If you are transporting different goods on the A->B and B->A legs, you need to enable autorefit in the timetable - and the vehicles you are using need to support autorefit.

If you are transporting the same thing in both directions, then cargodist is your friend, like unbeatable_101 said.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Eventually, without cargodist, you can arrange two station in each city: one for dropping cargo which will be picked by trucks and delivered, second for picking cargo dropped by trucks to deliver to other city. And of course same layout in other city.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”