[MacOS] Can I change where game files are stored? (possible bug caused by iCloud)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

daybreaker
Engineer
Engineer

[MacOS] Can I change where game files are stored? (possible bug caused by iCloud)

Post by daybreaker »

Currently the default location for game files is ~/Documents/OpenTTD

I've noticed an issue where every now and then, when I open the game, it cant find zBase and a few newGRFs, and has lost all my configured settings. Which is a pain to spend 30 minutes changing everything back.

I realized the issue *might* be that I moved my ~/Documents folder to iCloud. So it's very possible the game can't find the files because the filesystem can't download them from iCloud fast enough for openTTD to open them.

So, is there a way to move the default location? Or am I doomed to moving my Documents folder back on to my physical hard drive?
kamnet

Re: [MacOS] Can I change where game files are stored? (possible bug caused by iCloud)

Post by kamnet »

I don't know the internals of how iCloud works, but for a similar problem on Windows... I moved my OpenTTD install and configs to my Google Drive account. Google Drive assigns a path on my machine. I created a symlink between /MyDocuments/OpenTTD and the path to where OpenTTD resides in Google Drive.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [MacOS] Can I change where game files are stored? (possible bug caused by iCloud)

Post by jfs »

Try moving the contents of your ~/Documents/OpenTTD folder into the same folder as the OpenTTD app bundle, i.e. such that the openttd.cfg file is next to the app bundle. That should make the game run in "portable mode". At least it works that way putting the openttd.cfg file next to the openttd.exe file on Windows, but I'm not sure how exactly this is handled on macOS.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”