Help with GRFs pls.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Swoop
Engineer
Engineer

Help with GRFs pls.

Post by Swoop »

Returning player. I want to update a scenario I made some time ago with updated GRFs....but I can't remove the old ones. I've seen the note saying how it's disabled unless I change the config.cfg but I've tried that and I'm finding the .cfg file is being overwritten when I run the game, ie wiping out my scenario_editor setting back to false. I've also seen that it can be enabled via the console but can't seem to find the console command to do it.

Help?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help with GRFs pls.

Post by Redirect Left »

I believe the best way to handle this, is to start a new game with the newest GRFs. I do not believe there is any way to ensure an updated GRF is compatible with saves and can be a drop in replacement for them, they made change some internal vehicle ids for example
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Re: Help with GRFs pls.

Post by kamnet »

Swoop wrote: 16 Sep 2020 23:27 Returning player. I want to update a scenario I made some time ago with updated GRFs....but I can't remove the old ones. I've seen the note saying how it's disabled unless I change the config.cfg but I've tried that and I'm finding the .cfg file is being overwritten when I run the game, ie wiping out my scenario_editor setting back to false. I've also seen that it can be enabled via the console but can't seem to find the console command to do it.

Help?
You can attempt to do it by first enabling the scenario developer mode. Open the console (~), then type the command: set scenario_developer 1

This should modify the .cfg file. Then open your scenario file in the Scenario Editor. Assuming this is the original .scn file and not a .sav renamed as a .scn, you should be able to remove most NewGRFs without issue, then add the ones you wish to include. Keep in mind, however, that doing this may break the scenario completely and introduce bugs. However, if you're just replacing vehicles, stations and objects, it should be OK, just keep in mind that all bets are off, anything weird is possible.

Also, of note, you will likely NOT be able to remove a NewGRF that adds new industries or changes the economy. Doing this will likely break your scenario - graphics may be corrupted, costs and calculations not correct, and industries may be missing or industries will require or produce the incorrect cargoes. You might be able to get away with it if you're removing original OpenTTD industries with a NewGRF industry. You'll need to remove ALL and EVERY part of the original industries and ensure that none are left on the map before you add your industry NewGRF. If you're trying to upgrade an industry NewGRF or swap one for another, it's quite possible you will fail, even if you do remove all of the old before adding the new. Caveat emptor.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”