having transport routes between towns reduces relationship

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

having transport routes between towns reduces relationship

Post by andreasaspenberg »

i set up a tram route between 2 towns and both hates me, because it takes too long to move between them.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: having transport routes between towns reduces relationship

Post by jfs »

Nah, towns don't care about transport times. As long as their passengers are picked up they are happy.

What makes towns dislike you:
Destroying trees.
Having stations with too many passengers or cargo waiting, and vehicles not visiting often.

What you should do:
Make sure you have enough vehicles on the route that every station gets visited at least once every month, and more often is better.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

that is incorrect. towns does not like that their people or their wares is taken to another town. no matter how fast it goes.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 04 Jul 2020 17:07 that is incorrect. towns does not like that their people or their wares is taken to another town. no matter how fast it goes.
Rofl, just go read the wiki instead of arguing with the game developer :P
https://wiki.openttd.org/Game_mechanics ... ity_rating
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

i play the game daily. i gather information from it that most people do not. i once transported cola from one town to another and while everything was transported, the town started hating me because i took wares out of it. i had to set up an in town mail transport to stop the relationship from going bad.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 04 Jul 2020 18:33 i play the game daily. i gather information from it that most people do not. i once transported cola from one town to another and while everything was transported, the town started hating me because i took wares out of it. i had to set up an in town mail transport to stop the relationship from going bad.
Well, OpenTTD doesn't have that mechanic, there is no code that would do that in the game, it only does only what is listed in the wiki.
So afaict there are only 3 options:
1) You're playing with some kind of gamescript or patch that manipulates the rating, in that case, you should definitely mention it to not confuse people who play unmodded game.
2) You found a bug. If you can reproduce it reliably and confirm it's definitely not a result of other actions go ahead and report it on the bugtracker.
3) You're just seeing things and spreading nonsense.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

4: you just hate me.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 04 Jul 2020 19:07 4: you just hate me.
That's just 3, I hate people who spread nonsense about game mechanics and don't listen to others who know it better :P
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

the best way to gather information about a game is to play it. i am done feeding this troll however and as suc: i will not respond to this topic anymore.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 04 Jul 2020 19:19 the best way to gather information about a game is to play it. i am done feeding this troll however and as suc: i will not respond to this topic anymore.
Uh no, really. _dp_ is an actual developer of OpenTTD, and probably the one most knowledgeable about how town growth and town rating mechanics work.
The game is not a black box whose behaviour can only be understood through experimentation. It's open source and the code is available for anyone to look at, understand, and experiment with at their own leisure.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Hi!

I've locked this thread, which is not a step we want to take very often. The "issue" has been answered, and the following arguments help nobody. _dp_ and jfs have responded in a courteous and agreeable manner, and that is all there is to it.

Thank you for keeping this forum friendly and inviting. :)
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”