How does it work on EliteGameServers ?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

How does it work on EliteGameServers ?

Post by TTdelicious »

Hi OpenTTD Community :D

I love this game and play it for many many years ... now I wanted to start playing it with a friend. So we ordered an EliteGameServer and started the game. Well it works all fine, but the time speed is very fast (it looks like the second button -> timelapse is activated, but I cannot change it. I also cannot click on pause. I just can do pause with the command "rcon xx pause". But I cannot find a command for game speed. Does it exist? Does anyone play on EliteGameServers? Can I just play one game? How to add f.eg. the ISR grafic grf 1.1?

It would be so great if somebody would agree to share his experience with me. I could also give you my Whatsapp Number or Telegram .... My motherlanguage is German :oops:

Have a great sunday,
Matthias
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: How does it work on EliteGameServers ?

Post by _dp_ »

From what I've seen that service is basically a scam. I'd advise you to get your money back if you still can and buy a regular vps somewhere else. OpenTTD is not that hard to set up and you'll get a perfectly fine server in your total control instead of being at the mercy of incompetent team running some weird configurations that break the game.

P.S. OpenTTD server only has 2 "speeds": paused and unpaused. Whatever s*** is happening on EliteGameServers is totally their fault.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I can confirm that E.G.S. are essentially a scam service. Nearly everyone has reported issues with it to my knowledge, at least when running OpenTTD. Servers running too fast, or too slow as soon as you put any vehicles in the map.
_dp_ is correct, its very easy to set up OpenTTD yourself, in either Windows or Linux (no idea for Mac personally, sorry), and we can help you with that pretty quickly if needed. You can also buy cheap physical servers or virtually private servers (VPS's) to host it, or just run the server yourself on your computer or a spare one, it doesn't take a lot of internet bandwidth to do so!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 May 2020 16:14 I can confirm that E.G.S. are essentially a scam service. Nearly everyone has reported issues with it to my knowledge, at least when running OpenTTD. Servers running too fast, or too slow as soon as you put any vehicles in the map.
_dp_ is correct, its very easy to set up OpenTTD yourself, in either Windows or Linux (no idea for Mac personally, sorry), and we can help you with that pretty quickly if needed. You can also buy cheap physical servers or virtually private servers (VPS's) to host it, or just run the server yourself on your computer or a spare one, it doesn't take a lot of internet bandwidth to do so!
Hey, thank you very much for this kind explications. I would very appreciate if someone could help me with a dedicated server. But I don't have any experiences in servers etc. I don't want change my router settings or start a (Hostet) Multi-player on my own computer.

I tried elitegameservers and you are right. The speed is crazy fast. Nearly 1 day = 1 second. Thats not normal I guess. And I have others problems. F. EG. I cannot include 3cc trains in the config file (probably too big with 8MB?). And I don't know really how this exactly works with (f. Ef. If I start a new game and I want save it how? Do I always need to write rcon pw "save gamename"? And if I have network problem and if the server is stopping or whatever happens I have to load this game again? Because sometimes the EGS just stopped (network error) trow me out of the game and started then a random map from New. How can I say which is the "standard" game for loading? Autosave doesn't really help as if you save the game every minute you don't have any idea about which AutosaveX you have to open if the game crashes 😅) I tried ZAP hosting then. But they don't have the actual game on their servers 🙄. So I hope you see my problems. Really big problems in this world 😂 But I absolutely LOVE this game and it would be so great if I could play it with a friend together 😍.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Do you actually need a dedicated server? There are plenty of public servers; you can join them for free and you don't have to figure out the correct settings.
TTdelicious
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TTdelicious »

OK, thanks guys. I found a friend which is hosting the game on his server for me and my friend :oops:
kjib
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kjib »

Sorry to all senior members for posting here,

my most respected forum friends I want to know can I use dedicated server to play the game instead of using EliteGameServers?

Or is there any other best alternative for EliteGameServers :?:

thanks...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Or is there any other best alternative for EliteGameServers :?:
[/quote]

Literally anything. If your own home Internet is fast enough you can just launch a new server from your home computer, you can make it open to anyone or just a few friends by using an invite code. If you've never set up a remote server before, you can rent space from any Internet provider, spend about 15 minutes learning about transferring files and setting up a script to launch the server.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Go to https://lowendbox.com/ and choose the cheapest Linux VPS server near your country, with 512 MB RAM, other parameters do not matter. It should cost no more than $2 per month, bit you can find offers as low as $1/month. Do not buy Amazon AWS or Google Cloud or whatever Miscosoft is offering, they are way too expensive, aim for small unknown cloud hosting companies.
Pay for one month, then choose the latest Ubuntu or Debian as your distribution. 70% of all Linux installation manuals on internet are about Uhintu, this will make your life easier.
Start your server in the web control panel of your cloud hosting.
Install SSH client to your PC, log into your server as described in the web control panel, then run these commmands

sudo apt-get install openttd cron nano

Enter your server password, then 'y' when prompted.
This will likely install a slightly old version of OpenTTD, look which version is written in the command output, and download the same version of OpenTTD to your PC, they need to match.

Now run

openttd -D

That's all, you are running your own dedicated server. Launch OpenTTD on your PC and search for it in the server list.

Now close OpenTTD, press Ctrl-C to stop the server, and run command

crontab -e

When you are asked which text editor to use, choose Nano and absolutely do not, I repeat, never choose vi. If you launch vi by mistake, you will have to abandon this VPS and buy another server (and I am only half-joking)

Now, create a new line that looks like this

@reboot /usr/bin/openttd -D

Save the file with Ctrl-S, exit Nano with Ctrl-X, then reboot your VPS in the web panel. Your dedicated OpenTTD server will now launch when VPS reboots. Which may happen at random, because your cloud hosting is the cheapest, but let it not bother you.

I will leave instructions about editing your server config file for later.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”