How to link a station to an industry

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FruitSalad
Engineer
Engineer

How to link a station to an industry

Post by FruitSalad »

Does anyone understand the mechanics of how station choose which industry building to serve?

I am playing with the allow multiple industries per town set to yes. I would like to service each factory building but it seems that one factory receives all the goods despite having stations as close as possible to other factories. The adjacent industries do not receive any goods and eventually close.

Screen shot attached.

Cheers.
Attachments
Multiple Industries 2.JPG
(651.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: How to link a station to an industry

Post by kamnet »

It should be the factory that has a tile that is closest to the station's flag tile (the tile where the station name appears).

To achieve what you want, your best option is to do this:
1. Have trains transfer (not unload) the resources your factories need.
2. Build a truck/lorry station next to each factory, and one or more truck/lorry stations attached to the train station (so that they're the same station).
3. Use trucks/lorries to load the resources from the train station and unload them at the individual stations at each factory.

And as long as all of your factories remain in the cachement area of the train station, they will continue to place their output there. Making this chain will briefly disrupt your service, but only briefly.
FruitSalad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FruitSalad »

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

kamnet wrote: 07 May 2020 10:15 It should be the factory that has a tile that is closest to the station's flag tile (the tile where the station name appears).
It used to be like You write but not today.

Currently, cargo is delivered to this enterprise within the range of the station that was builded first. The location of the station label and the distance from the station to the enterprise does not matter.

Two examples where I founded enterprises in a different order...
Deliveries acceptance.PNG
Deliveries acceptance.PNG (210.47 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
As you can see, supply is not always delivered to the company closer to the station label

I understand the meaning of this change, because if a new company was established next to the station closer to the label, it would take all deliveries.
Deliveries acceptance - old fail.png
Deliveries acceptance - old fail.png (153.78 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
The problem is that this change has done more harm than good. Earlier it was easy to build large stations with a more complex layout. Today it has sometimes become very difficult or even impossible. An example would be a station built by Fruit Salad where the supply of raw materials to each of the factories may not be possible.

kamnet wrote: 07 May 2020 10:15 2. Build a truck/lorry station next to each factory, and one or more truck/lorry stations attached to the train station (so that they're the same station).
3. Use trucks/lorries to load the resources from the train station and unload them at the individual stations at each factory.
Using trucks, especially the default ones, may not solve the problem here. The more that there is about 20k tons of cargo to be delivered, and with time it will be even more - it would require very large unloading stations, and then such a station will reach for an older enterprise, which will take all deliveries ... and the vicious circle closes.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Interestingly, if you use an industry set with stockpiles like BSPI, it will intelligently divide the cargo between the industries instead of wasting it all on one. I'm not sure how that works, but it does ;)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”