SERVER ON ELITEGAMESERVERS.net - PROBLEM

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Lakomisko
Engineer
Engineer

SERVER ON ELITEGAMESERVERS.net - PROBLEM

Post by Lakomisko »

Hi,
I would like to ask you for help.
I purchased server on elitegameservers.net, everything works fine, but only if we have no vehlicles/train/airplace etc.
With every train game go to be slower and slower, after 20 trains in 5 company is game very very slow. For exampe, at start 1 game day is about 2 seconds, after that we are waiting 10 seconds for 1 day.
I have no idea if is problem with server or with config.

Have someone any advice?

Thank you!
Best regards
Petr
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: SERVER ON ELITEGAMESERVERS.net - PROBLEM

Post by Redirect Left »

It may be worth double checking with the host your process is actually being assigned the correct resources.

OpenTTD can be CPU intensive, although relatively light on RAM, especially with larger maps. OpenTTD also only uses 1 core to my knowledge for the main processing, and another core for processing network traffic. So if the host is assign you low clock rates but many cores, OpenTTD won't properly use it.

Even so, unless you are using a huge map, or it has internally assigned you low resources, i'd expect you to get a good few hundred or so trains before you got any noticeable slowdowns on any modern system. I'm running a 2048 x 2048 map with > 3,500 trains on currently with no slowdowns (on an i7-8700, 16GB RAM, although even at this size and train amount its using < 250MB of RAM)), its only noticeably slower on the fast forward button, which is basically telling the game to execute its main loop as fast as the processor allows, normal play is still completely fine.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Lakomisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lakomisko »

We had same problem on 256*256 map with 100 trains in total, server showing me that memory is used by 1% and CPU by 7% (dont know how many cores), but admins set higher priority for me, but still same.
Another idea?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

You need to look at the CPU usage *by core*. The overall CPU usage may well be 7% and is irrelevant. If you run on an octo-core CPU with hyperthreading 7% might mean everything idle except the CPU core dealing with OpenTTD's main loop which is running at maximum speed.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”