Helicopters not landing in front of small airport hangar

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrainHead
Engineer
Engineer

Helicopters not landing in front of small airport hangar

Post by TrainHead »

Developers at Openttd, first of all thanks a lot for your effort.. Openttd is the only game i keep returning to over the years.
In early game, i tended to use small airports, than keep using them for helicopters. I noticed that the helicopters take off from the spot directly in front of the hangar, but never land in the same spot, but rather on the beginning of the runway.. Since helicopters take too long to land, an aircraft, or other helicopter behind it keeps hovering the airport needlessly.. I was not sure if this is a problem to report, or a suggestion to make. In both cases, i wish that the helicopters be able to land on the spot in front of the hanger, and leave the runway free to use by another fixed wing aircraft landing..
kamnet

Re: Helicopters not landing in front of small airport hangar

Post by kamnet »

It is both a bug and a feature.

It is a bug because, as you note, it's a huge bottleneck. It is a feature because OpenTTD is a 100% faithful clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and this is exactly how it works in the original game. In addition, as of right now it is not possible to change how this works, no developer has yet discovered a way to modify how that works without breaking the game.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Helicopters not landing in front of small airport hangar

Post by PikkaBird »

kamnet wrote: 15 Feb 2020 03:45It is a feature because OpenTTD is a 100% faithful clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and this is exactly how it works in the original game. In addition, as of right now it is not possible to change how this works, no developer has yet discovered a way to modify how that works without breaking the game.
:roll:

OpenTTD features three times as many airport types as Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Modifying the airport state machines (without "breaking the game") was one of the first new features developed for OpenTTD - within a few months of the project starting!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”