Population stagnant (Save game included)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sparvass
Engineer
Engineer

Population stagnant (Save game included)

Post by Sparvass »

Hi, im trying out some new GRFs and playing around a little bit (so dont mind my flunky funded industries :roll: ).
The city growth in my main city Söråker was rapid until the 1950s, now for 20 years it's been stagnant. Been around 50k to 53k for those years.
Why? My stations ratings are mostly around mediocre to excellent, with mostly the latter.

I've tried changing to road layout to "Better roads" and I am as often as I remember it going mental on fountains and statues.

Playing on nightly build 20191210.
Ill attach my saved game.
Attachments
Slow growth.sav
(7.92 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
Sparvass
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Population stagnant (Save game included)

Post by Sparvass »

I'm obviously doing something wrong since its halted again in another game.
See the attached image.
Attachments
Untitled.png
(1.86 MiB) Not downloaded yet
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Could it be that your GRFs don't provide any houses that can be built during this particular time period?

In order to check this, you can change the date back to the years when your town used to grow.
Sparvass
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sparvass »

odisseus wrote: 20 Dec 2019 00:02 Could it be that your GRFs don't provide any houses that can be built during this particular time period?

In order to check this, you can change the date back to the years when your town used to grow.
Played around with the dates but no changes really. There are houses built where I'm at right now but the city favors fountains and statues. Favors it A LOT.

EDIT: I'm at 49k now and its 2020. I recon that's a pretty slow growth. Its been stagnant here for long now again. Sigh.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

The town on your screenshot doesn't seem to have an excessive number of fountains and statues. In fact, it looks pretty normal to me.

However, it is quite constrained by the terrain. It is wedged between the sea and the hills, and can expand efficiently only to the north-west or north-east.

If I recall correctly, the town selects the direction in which to expand at random, and when that direction cannot be expanded (e. g. due to terrain or reserved land), it just gives up. Here is a detailed description of the growth algorithm. Try growing a town on a wide level plain, and its population should increase much faster.

By the way, are the towns allowed to build their own roads? If not, the town will keep tearing down and rebuilding along the existing roads, and there will be very little net growth of population.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”