Airport infrastructure costs

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Joubarbe
Engineer
Engineer

Airport infrastructure costs

Post by Joubarbe »

Hi,

I play with infrastructure costs on, and I saw old messages about that problem. With 2 airports, in 1945, I'm at about 800,000 dollars per year. The AI has no chance, and me neither. I just bought an AI company for 2$ and resell the whole airport infrastructure.

Some will say "download the base costs thing". Yeah, well, sorry, but I can't believe this game design choice has been willingly made. This makes no sense; without the 2 airports, I'm at 60k of infrastructure costs. This makes the airplane sector unplayable.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Airport infrastructure costs

Post by jfs »

It's intentional that infrastructure costs for airports is massive, simply because jet planes can move large amounts of passengers very far at a very high rate, making it by far the easiest way to make huge amounts of cash. The high infrastructure cost of running airlines is a way to offset this.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Additionally, you can easily adjust all costs types relative to eachother by using a base cost NewGRF (just search bananans for base cost mod)
odalman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odalman »

Start a game with infrastructure costs when the first airplane becomes available, build 2 airports (only smallest type is yet available) in good locations and buy as many planes as the airports can handle. Since the locations are good, there will be more than enough passengers. I do not think that it is even possible to make a profit.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Joubarbe wrote: 08 Dec 2019 18:49 Some will say "download the base costs thing". Yeah, well, sorry, but I can't believe this game design choice has been willingly made.
Infrastructure costs are not active by default. If you've made the (imo bad) choice to turn them on, it's on you to adjust them to your liking.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”