Problem with factory roundabout

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Javahne
Engineer
Engineer

Problem with factory roundabout

Post by Javahne »

I am having the following problem with a current game I am working on. I have one factory for the entire map, to which about 1000 trains pickup and drop stuff. The classic roro didn't work: I had one big delivery station, and one pickup station, that were all fed via one big entry point. It clogged enormously in front of and behind the station. I wanted to solve this with a "rolling buffer": trains enter a big ring (4 lines) around the factory and exit at their appropriate destination, or continue their journey on the ring for another round if the buffer of the destination is full. As I do not need a lot of docks per stream (grain, livestock, steel, goods) I build each of them separately around the factory, with six docks per station. Each substation is RORO with it's own stream: grain (yellow), livestock (pink), steel (blue) and goods (brown). The problem that I have is as follows: if the buffer at the station is full, the train does not continue, but stops at the path signal and clos the roundabout. How can I ensure it continues without clogging it (again)? Many thanks in advance.
Setup.png
(326.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem with factory roundabout

Post by Transportman »

I think to get the behavior you want, you would want to read this. It describes a setting that makes two-way signals be interpreted as dead ends when they are red, so you could place a regular block signal at the start of the track to the station, resulting in trains staying on the loop when the track to the station is blocked.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Javahne
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Javahne »

Many thanks for the link , I indeed think that's what I need. How I would implement it, isn't quite clear to me. I have attached a more simplified and smaller overview of the way how I have done it now: trains enter at the bottom right, cycle until the entry of the right station, and ideally, should then continue into the station or get on their way for another round. Now I have a path signal, and it doesn't work. I have changed the openttd.cfg file to change the EOL behavior, but there is still no change. How can I change my signalling, or am I overlooking something else?

Simplified:
Unbenannt2.png
(234.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Change the signal in the red circle to be facing both ways.

Also, it might be that for existing save games, you also need to change the setting from the console (also described on the link I provided earlier). So if you changed the signal and still do not see the required behaviour, it might be that the setting is not actually active for your save.
Attachments
eol.png
(352.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Javahne
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Javahne »

Excellent, that works. Don't underdstand why, but it does :D Thanks! :bow:

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”