[Linux] MIDI music volume too loud? (slider doesn't work)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

[Linux] MIDI music volume too loud? (slider doesn't work)

Post by DesertBus » 31 May 2019 14:44

I'm playing the Linux port using Timidity/Pulseaudio for MIDI. The volume slider doesn't work, only for sound effects, the music is too overpowered. Do anyone know any tricks to manually make MIDI playback quieter? In Pulseaudio, I can turn down the volume for MIDI playback, but as soon as another track starts playing the volume gets back to 100%.
"Watch that s***, cowboy"

jfs
Director
Director

Re: [Linux] MIDI music volume too loud? (slider doesn't work)

Post by jfs » 31 May 2019 15:22

Problem is the Timidity support is via the "extmidi" code in OpenTTD, meaning it runs a new Timidity process every time a new track starts, which explains why the volume resets. It's also why the volume slider in-game doesn't work, there isn't any way to communicate volume changes to the external MIDI playback process.

My only suggestion would be to use the new(er) Fluidsynth-based MIDI output, which is included in the 1.9 branch. It runs in-process and fully supports volume control.

DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Linux] MIDI music volume too loud? (slider doesn't work)

Post by DesertBus » 01 Jun 2019 03:51

I searched Google for a looong time in the hope of finding a way to manually set the Timidity process to a default volume level, but no luck. I was hoping some Linux guru out there would appear here :lol: :lol: Tried the -V and -A command line switches (volume and amp) but nothing seems to change. Well, Fluidsynth is the way then. Thanks man :bow: :bow:
"Watch that s***, cowboy"

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”