Can't find server on LAN

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

BenTrein
Engineer
Engineer

Can't find server on LAN

Post by BenTrein »

At home on one network I play on one machine with the n-ice client, and on the other with the standard client. I've disabled the firewalls, but still - when I create a multiplayer game, the server doesn't show up. When I try to connect with "openttd -n IP:3979" (and yes, IP replaced by the correct IP-address), OpenTTD starts up but hangs 'looking for NewGRF - scanning 0 out of estimated 1'. I've added the n-ice client grf to the normal client's machine, and still it hangs.

I'm running on both machines LinuxMint 19. Any suggestions to answer the question 'now what?' are very welcome!
Greetz,

Ben Trein

The internet isn't a highway. It's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it draws you in!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Can't find server on LAN

Post by Alberth »

Not showing up in the list is expected, you pull that information from the openttd.org server list, and that machine doesn't know about your LAN. You should be able to to simply connect by IP address though, and from your description it seems to work, except for the grf.

To confirm the latter I'd suggest to try connecting two games across the LAN with vanilla openttd (and to be on the safe side, don't use any newgrf in the game at first). If that connects, the network thing is doing what it is supposed to do, and you likely want to ask someone near n-ice, why the grf is a problem (assuming a vanilla grf does work, to eliminate silly problems like the wrong directory, insufficient access rights, etc).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Can't find server on LAN

Post by jfs »

Which version of OpenTTD? I think one of the bugs being fixed between 1.8.0 and 1.9.0 relates to connecting to multiplayer games from the commandline causing hangs.

Try starting the game without any parameters and join the server via the GUI instead.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”