Three problems with OpenTTD

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Doclouis
Engineer
Engineer

Three problems with OpenTTD

Post by Doclouis »

Hello friends,

I wanted to try out OpenTTD today and came across two issues. I couldn't find any solutions so far, so maybe one of you can lend me a hand .

1. DBXL-Set
I downloaded some newgrf including the OpenTTD-version of Michael Blunck's DB-XL-Set from here and unzipped them to a folder "newgrf" within the OpenTTD-folder. Unfortunately, any of Michael's newgrf will show up in OpenTTD's NewGRF-Manager (see ttdx1.jpg).
What did I do wrong with the installion of these newgrfs that should be a compatible version with OpenTTD?

2. TTD Savegame to be played in OpenTTD
I do have a very old savegame, that I really love. I started it in 1995 (Classic TT), converted it to TTD some years later and played on every now and then until today. Now I would like to play it with OpenTTD, but it wouldn't have any newgrfs with it. I guess, because you would have to start a new game to have newgrfs enabled? Is there any chance to enable newgrfs within a running savegame? (see ttdx2.jpg)

3. Another very old savegame runs fine in TTDX, but keeps on crashing in OpenTTD because of missing newgrfs (see ttdx3.jpg). Is there any chance to find out, what these would be or simply to reset the newgrfs and keep on playing this savegame anyway?

Cheers,
Lutz
Attachments
ttdx1.jpg
ttdx1.jpg (143.25 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
ttdx2.jpg
(377.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ttdx3.jpg
ttdx3.jpg (431.49 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Three problems with OpenTTD

Post by Eddi »

ad 1:
you might have missed something, the way you describe it should be fine (see attachment)

ad 2:
there is a way to add newgrfs after game start, but it might break your savegame (like your 3rd problem), so keep a backup.
there is a hidden setting for "scenario_developer" that you can only access through the console.

ad 3:
TTDPatch did not store any information about the loaded NewGRFs in the file, so there is no way of finding out. if you don't find a newgrf.cfg from back when you made the savegame, then all you can do is guess.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190203_235430.png
(1.76 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Doclouis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doclouis »

Hello Eddi,

thank you so much for your answer. How do I find the hidden setting for adding newgrf in savegames?

Cheers,
Lutz
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Doclouis wrote:Hello Eddi,

thank you so much for your answer. How do I find the hidden setting for adding newgrf in savegames?

Cheers,
Lutz
You can only activate it via console, there is no other interface for it https://wiki.openttd.org/Console

in the console:

Code: Select all

set scenario_developer 1
then later after you added all required newgrf you might try

Code: Select all

resetengines 
Make a backup of your savegame file before you start with this! Anything you do to your savegame with this option enabled may permanently damage it beyond repair.
Doclouis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doclouis »

Hello Eddi,

thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately, all of that did not work out fine.

ad3
I found a backup of TTDX that works under Win7. I loaded my savegame and found out all the newgrfs used in this savegyame and loaded these in OpenTTD. Still the savegame stalled after loading, saying the newgrfs were missing.
But that's not too bad, as I now have a working TTDX version again.

ad2
I tried out what you wrote about the console. I used a copy of a savegame without any TTDX-newgrfs and loaded it into OpenTTD. That worked just fine. Then, the savegame still opened but paused, I used the console to add OpenTTD-newgrfs. After doing so, I clicked into a depot and found newgrf-trains! But when I continued the paused savegame, a lot of error message would pop up, mostly saying "train no. xxx has an invalid length", then OpenTTD closed.

Ok, while having TTDX running again, I will try to build its landscape in OpenTTD as a scenario and start that...
Cheers,
Lutz
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Yup. Basically only TTD savegames are supported, not TTDPatch.

You refer to your save as a TTD save, but it likely won't work in TTD either. TTDPatch changes other things around besides what vehicles are available, so even without NewGRFs it likely still won't work.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”