Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Post Reply
Durabys
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Oct 2018 19:23

Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by Durabys » 24 Oct 2018 19:30

Good day people.
I consider myself a complete newbie at Linux. But I do not have the gear necessary to run the monster that is Windows 10. So I am stuck with my netbook and Xubuntu 18.04.
As I said, cannot install the .deb files for Ubuntu that are on the main site. They are for 14.04. I get this error:
"The following packages have unmet dependencies:" And then nothing. I do not know what it misses.
Please help.

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 7415
Joined: 17 Jan 2007 00:14

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by Eddi » 24 Oct 2018 20:56

use the generic linux binary, if there are none for the EXACT version of ubuntu.
You might not exactly be interested in Ferion, but if you are, have fun :)

Durabys
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Oct 2018 19:23

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by Durabys » 25 Oct 2018 05:24

Eddi wrote:use the generic linux binary, if there are none for the EXACT version of ubuntu.
And how should I install it? I tried the installation page on the wiki and borked my install of Xubuntu to the point I had to reinstall the entire OS. As I said. Newbie here.

Isn't there a PPA that I could use to get continuous updates? Or just install get GitHub (don't know how) and download the latest Master version?

Auge
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Posts: 383
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 02:07
Location: Berlin

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by Auge » 25 Oct 2018 06:54

Durabys wrote:
Eddi wrote:use the generic linux binary, if there are none for the EXACT version of ubuntu.
And how should I install it?
You only have to unpack the generic Linux binary into a subfolder of your home directory. You can start then the program file "openttd" from there.

Tschö, Auge

Durabys
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Oct 2018 19:23

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by Durabys » 25 Oct 2018 07:12

Auge wrote:
Durabys wrote:
Eddi wrote:use the generic linux binary, if there are none for the EXACT version of ubuntu.
And how should I install it?
You only have to unpack the generic Linux binary into a subfolder of your home directory. You can start then the program file "openttd" from there.

Tschö, Auge
I would like to have it in the Whisker Menu/Games please.

xendistar
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 22:36

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by xendistar » 20 Nov 2018 21:28

I have the same problem as the OP, downloaded the Generic binary, unpacked it in my home folder, added the MSX, GFX and sfx folder, tried to start openttd but get the following error:

Code: Select all

mit@andora:~/OTTD/openttd-1.8.0-linux-generic-i686$ ./openttd
./openttd: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Anybody advise

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6808
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by kamnet » 21 Nov 2018 06:46

xendistar wrote:I have the same problem as the OP, downloaded the Generic binary, unpacked it in my home folder, added the MSX, GFX and sfx folder, tried to start openttd but get the following error:

Code: Select all

mit@andora:~/OTTD/openttd-1.8.0-linux-generic-i686$ ./openttd
./openttd: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Anybody advise
Your issue isn't like the OP's issue at all, it's more helpful to start your own topic for help so that issues do not become confused or cluttered.

With that said, myself also being a novice at Linux (you'd think I wouldn't be after using *nix systems for 25 years now! *SMH*), I'm going to hazard a guess that you need to install libSDL-1.2. This page may be helpful to you. https://www.howtoinstall.co/en/ubuntu/x ... sdl1.2-dev

xendistar
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 22:36

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by xendistar » 21 Nov 2018 07:04

I shall rephrase my comment and question, I had exactly the same issue trying to install the Debian version of the download file as the OP, not able to install due to libicu52 missing dependency.

So I followed the advise further down the thread from Auge, to simply unpack the binary in your home folder and then just run the ottd file which then (for me) produce the error I posted above.

Going back to my original issue of trying to install the Deb, version of ottd 1.8.0 on Debian Stretch, I have libicu 60 & libicu63 installed on my system, there does not seem to be an option to install libicu52.

In regards to your suggestion to install libSDL-1.2 I already have both libsdl 1.2-dev & libsdl 1.2-debian installed along with a host of other libsdl files.

So consequently I am still stuck.

User avatar
kamnet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6808
Joined: 28 Sep 2009 17:15
Location: Eastern KY
Contact:

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by kamnet » 21 Nov 2018 10:48

xendistar wrote:I shall rephrase my comment and question, I had exactly the same issue trying to install the Debian version of the download file as the OP, not able to install due to libicu52 missing dependency.

So I followed the advise further down the thread from Auge, to simply unpack the binary in your home folder and then just run the ottd file which then (for me) produce the error I posted above.

Going back to my original issue of trying to install the Deb, version of ottd 1.8.0 on Debian Stretch, I have libicu 60 & libicu63 installed on my system, there does not seem to be an option to install libicu52.

In regards to your suggestion to install libSDL-1.2 I already have both libsdl 1.2-dev & libsdl 1.2-debian installed along with a host of other libsdl files.

So consequently I am still stuck.
This was the error message that you posted:
./openttd: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


Which suggests your issue with running the generic OpenTTD binary is because libSDL-1.2 isn't installed, or it's installed in a location where the system cannot find it.

agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 155
Joined: 14 Apr 2017 15:51
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 + OpenTTD 1.8.0 = Cannot Install, missing dependencies.

Post by agentw4b » 21 Nov 2018 13:21

Something about the installations in Ubuntu :

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=76826

(but I did not try version Xubuntu 18.04 )

It is for dedicated servers...
Owner and admin of servers:Experimental games 01 (92.63.57.152:3979), Experimental games 02 (92.63.57.152:3879), Experimental games 03 (92.63.57.152:3779), Experimental games 04 (92.63.57.152:3679), Experimental games 05 (92.63.57.152:3579).
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS

Post Reply

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests