Load NewGrf Settings

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Load NewGrf Settings

Post by Strawbs89 »

how do i load newgrf settings into a game for example
if i want to make my own scenario how would i load my added newgrf settings into that game
kamnet

Re: Load NewGrf Settings

Post by kamnet »

Did you mean to post this in the OpenTTD Problems section?
Original Transport Tycoon doesn't have NewGRF support.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

The normal method is to put the NewGRFs in the NewGRF settings before you start your new game/scenario/heightmap etc. The other method is not intended to be used normally and can irrepairability damage game saves.
This is done by setting newgrf_developer_tools to 1 in the console. This allows you to change grfs in game, but this can ruin the game in unpredictable ways.
Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

yea but can you load newgrf settings that you already have got into a game you've loaded
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

That's what the second method is for. Changing NewGRF settings (in the main menu) only changes NewGRFs for new games.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Strawbs89 wrote:yea but can you load newgrf settings that you already have got into a game you've loaded
Yes. Or mostly no. A game (or scenario - that is just the same thing) is created with the NewGRF settings. Changing those after map creation can damage the map beyond repair. How that shows, when that shows and whether it happens at all, depends on the internals of the NewGRFs you load and possibly their parameters. And there are many NewGRF which pretend to only do X, but actually also do Y and Z, leading to such unexpected consequences and damaged maps when added after map creation. Most notorious is anything which touches cargoes or industries, but there are also bear traps with vehicle and track prices and availability.

If you know what you do and know exactly what the NewGRFs you already have and those you want to add do, declare yourself scenario_developer in the console and change NewGRFs after map creation. See https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_FAQ#I_c ... .2C_why.3F
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

A good example of entirely destroying your save is if you modify some station grfs midgame, it will break the station UI, crashing the game sometimes when you open it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Some very general and not official rules:

1. Never, ever add, remove or modify settings of an industry/cargo/industry or town/station name NewGRF, not even to upgrade it to a newer version.
2. It's generally OK to add a new vehicle set. One shouldn't try to remove a set, but if you do make sure that all vehicles associated with it have been completely removed from the game.
3. It's usually OK to add or re-arrange the station and object sets, but this may affect how they're displayed in the menu. Removing a set is usually OK as long as all tiles have been removed from the game. Otherwise you might have some broken graphics that you will need to rebuild.
4. It's generally OK to add a new house/building set, not OK to remove one.
5. NewGRFs which modify base graphics (landscape, trees, water) are usually OK to add or remove.
6. Keep in mind that any changes you make could potentially permanently break your save or scenario in ways you may not ever know until it's too late.
7. Never trust any of this information to be true or factual, things may change.
8. At some point after I post this, somebody will probably point out something I'm wrong about.
9. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Point 8 is right. To add to point 2, sometimes, adding vehicle sets can overwrite existing vehicles, which can really screw up your vehicles.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:3. It's usually OK to [...] re-arrange the station [...] sets
that is definitely wrong. station sets often contain non-track tiles, which is not saved in the tile itself. so if you rearrange them, some tiles which have trains on them may turn into non-track tiles, causing dsconnected trains. (which crashes the game)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:
kamnet wrote:3. It's usually OK to [...] re-arrange the station [...] sets
that is definitely wrong. station sets often contain non-track tiles, which is not saved in the tile itself. so if you rearrange them, some tiles which have trains on them may turn into non-track tiles, causing dsconnected trains. (which crashes the game)
OOH, NIFTY!! I've never done that before. Any suggestions on which sets to try this with? (Yes, I wanna crash the game now LOL!!)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I've made station sets where the second time you open the station gui the game crashes, as well as trains that can crash the game when you add wagons.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Even with object sets, which generally are considered to be safe for a reasonable amount of safe - after all, what could they mess up, beyond some visuals? - I've had crashes.

The main issue is that you'll change something, keep playing, and then discover 7 weeks later that something went wrong. And you might have forgotten that you have changed something in the mean time, so there you are reporting a bug, and then suddenly "AH, I forgot, I changed GRFs ..."

Well.

On the other hand I still change GRFs all the time so I can understand the urge :mrgreen:

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”