High GPU usage when starting game

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kibyts
Engineer
Engineer

High GPU usage when starting game

Post by Kibyts »

Hey guys.

First of all: Thank you very much for reading this.

I'm playing this game for years now and I love it. Since creators update its not so much fun anymore. When ever I start the game my client-server-runtime process uses a lot of GPU. I'm playing in window mode. The smaller the window is, the better I can play the game. I thought it might be better soon. But it dosn't look so, that's why I'm asking you for help. What I did so far and some system info:

Windows 10 64bit
32GB RAM
i7 5870
Tried R9 290 and RX480

I searched for someone having the same problem on this board. No success.
I updated my chipset, reinstalled the game, updated all drivers. I used the wiki post relatetd to problems with versions higher than 1.5. I manually added win32 to openttdconfig. Tryed 8 bit mode (was slightly better in 8bit mode). I used radeon seetings to limit frames to 30. Disabled firewall, disabled anti virus, installed several newgrf grafik packs.

I'm running out of ideas. Anything else I could do?

Thanks in advance.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: High GPU usage when starting game

Post by jfs »

OpenTTD isn't supposed to be heavy on the graphics hardware in the PC, basically all graphics rendering is handled on CPU and the finished picture is then copied to screen as a single surface. (The common rendering process for 3D accelerated games is that the game sends commands to the GPU about the geometry to render.)

A little while ago I uploaded a testing build on the issue tracker for someone else who is also having (different) performance problems, this test build has a new FPS meter feature. Post on issue tracker, Direct download link.

If you unpack and run this version (don't overwrite your current install!) you can try opening the frame rate window and check the Graphics Rendering and Video Output timing numbers. It's common for graphics rendering to get slow-ish for complex scenes with lots of networks and in high resolution, but the video output should generally stay below 1 ms all the time on a modern system, regardless of resolution.
openttd_2018-07-18_19-04-03.png
openttd_2018-07-18_19-04-03.png (40.05 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Kibyts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kibyts »

Thanks four your help!

Dosn't look that good... Any Ideas how I could fix it?

No CPU Usage, just GPU...
notgood.png
notgood.png (10.44 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
notgood2.png
notgood2.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 563 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Ouch, yes that's csrss.exe having that heavy GPU usage. Usually csrss.exe itself should never do much of anything interesting, it's basically a core Windows component tying most of the system together. My immediate hunch is that you have something else installed/running on your computer that's jamming up things.

Can you try restarting Windows into Safe Mode and test OTTD with that? Unfortunately finding Safe Mode is rather hard in Windows 10 so it's probably best if you look up a guide to it on a smartphone while going through the process.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

To get into safe mode on Windows 10, you have to search the start menu or PC Settings for "Change Advanced Startup Options" which will allow you to Restart Windows 10 and select advanced start up options like Safe mode.

I still dont get why they couldn't just keep the typical F8 advanced start up options from previous versions of windows.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Kibyts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kibyts »

Thank you for your hints. I'll be on holidays for the next 3 weeks. Afterwards I will give it a try.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”