problem with forest industry

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

problem with forest industry

Post by ANIKHTOS »

i have buidl 2 stations in 2 forest and i serve them with trains

in all the games i have played so far the forest slowly as any other industry that is well served starts growing up
but in this game the 2 forest output is goign down and down and down

why??

i am also servicing 8 coal mines
2 of them have grow nice
but 2 seem to refuse to grow up!?!?

i think here is a problem in the game
that makes the station bug somehow and stops loading the trains
i had another problem in another game with a ship and an oil refinery
the ship was delivering the oil but the oil refinery was not using it and it piled up in the station
deleting the station and creating a new one different name to be a different station solved the problem for a few months and then again the lock up and the oil start build up!?!??! i solve that problem with making a station next to the oil rig a train station and transport the oil as train station to train station but why it happen with the ships

1 of the coal stations had the same problems with delivering 2 units of coal per month!?!?!? i delete the station and rebuild it and so far the station loads the train normally but still i do not see that specific mine to grow

i give the sav file of the game
the problematic mines and stations are named coal07 coal08

is there a problem with loading unloading stations??
Attachments
512Alpini.sav
(497.29 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Re: problem with forest industry

Post by ANIKHTOS »

playing the game and just watching the problematic industries i see this problem

industries are low at 36 units of production 75% tranfereed which is the same as the output of the industry!?!?!?
which is wrong if industry produces 36 units and station delivers 36 units the for the industry ti ought to be 100% not 75%

then industry jumps to 72 units of production but station still says 36 units 75% delivered??
for one reason the extra production does not affect the station

and then it goes back to 36 units of production to 72 untis and so on and so on
with the numbers locked for the station
Attachments
problem.png
problem.png (214.41 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

sounds like you use "unload" or "transfer" orders the wrong way.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Eddi wrote:sounds like you use "unload" or "transfer" orders the wrong way.
thre are is no transfer or unload order
2 station orders
1 station load the wood
2nd go to next station
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

ANIKHTOS wrote:thre are is no transfer or unload order
I think he s reffering to your problem with the oil piling up at refinery station. you probably used transfer orders, which is made to pile things up in station and avoid the stuff being consumed by refinery.

But it could also just be that you used "unload orders" and the refinery dock/stationz was not covering the right tile of the refinery, the one that accepts oil.

Now about your otehr problem with industries not increasing production, you should check the wiki to get the exact information, but basically original industries have higher chance to increase production when having a good service, and have higher chance to decrease production if not well served.
Now if you read carefully i said "higher chance", so what you have to know is that service is changing the randomness of industries productioin increase/decrease, but it doesn t stop the randomness of it...So a 100% serviced industries still has a chance to see it s production decrease, the chance is just lower.

And about the station showing how much cargo got taken from industry... well i think it always has been bugged, so i don t know
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

romazoon wrote:
ANIKHTOS wrote:thre are is no transfer or unload order
I think he s reffering to your problem with the oil piling up at refinery station. you probably used transfer orders, which is made to pile things up in station and avoid the stuff being consumed by refinery.

But it could also just be that you used "unload orders" and the refinery dock/stationz was not covering the right tile of the refinery, the one that accepts oil.

Now about your otehr problem with industries not increasing production, you should check the wiki to get the exact information, but basically original industries have higher chance to increase production when having a good service, and have higher chance to decrease production if not well served.
Now if you read carefully i said "higher chance", so what you have to know is that service is changing the randomness of industries productioin increase/decrease, but it doesn t stop the randomness of it...So a 100% serviced industries still has a chance to see it s production decrease, the chance is just lower.

And about the station showing how much cargo got taken from industry... well i think it always has been bugged, so i don t know
in all the problems there was not used unload or transfer orders

dock was connected to the oil rig and was accepting oil
for a few months all worked normally
ship delivered cargo oil was used
but after a few months the oils stop consumed and piled up to the station

as for the forest industires
the problem is that the production goes between 36 units and 72 units
while the delivery of the station remain the same at 40-50 unitis

which is strange when the forest produce 72 units per month i can see it the station deliver 50 unites per month
but when it produce 36 how it still transfer 50 units???? where this units come from???

its a very odd behavior
now 20 years down the game
the industry goes between 72 and 108 units per month!?!?!?

while my problematic coal mines refuse to grow up but at least they do not have their values going up and down every month

all station are well served minimum 75 -100 % when i get them new engines

even with 100% rating the forest was going 36 72 36 72 36 72
while the delivered cargo remained 50 50 50 50 50 50 50
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

shorter trains may also help, they like trains arriving at the station :)

But the really low industries are a pain to get more production, I usually abandon such factories, and find new ones with a higher production.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Alberth wrote:shorter trains may also help, they like trains arriving at the station :)

But the really low industries are a pain to get more production, I usually abandon such factories, and find new ones with a higher production.
well i cut the train with only 3 carriages to make them short
but it did not help the situation

i manual checked and played the 2 trains servicing the station
to be sure that i get 1 delivery of goods every month

no help
i bought new engines rating went to 100% no help

i do large advertising campanile no help

destroy station buidl complete new one (used ctr and when prompt i build a seperate station) NO help

i build statue of company no help

the think is that the forest were at range 120-130 unites when i first made the route
and they went down to 36 units units while been servised

and iis it normal for the industry to jump between 2 production values every month??

i have some coal mines with small production they grow very very very slow
but at lest their production is solid the same
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

a common problem is this:

your unload station is near an industry that also produces wood/oil, then trains will pick up that cargo, and have nowhere to deliver it. so they drive around in circles always fully loaded, but can never pick anything up. in this case, use "unload and no loading" at the delivery station
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Eddi wrote:a common problem is this:

your unload station is near an industry that also produces wood/oil, then trains will pick up that cargo, and have nowhere to deliver it. so they drive around in circles always fully loaded, but can never pick anything up. in this case, use "unload and no loading" at the delivery station

well this is a cnot the problem here
delivery station has no industry fo same kind
cargo is DELIVERED

my question is
is it normal the production of an industry to fluctuate between 2 numbers??

36 72 36 72 every month change between these 2 numbers??

when i made the route i remember the production to be more than 72 units

so while i serve the industries the production went down !!!!!

and no tricks i know to improve production seem to work

i have 8 coal routes and 2 forest routes
from 10 routes total

2 routes of coal were improving over time
4 coal seem to improve but rather slowly
1 coal seem to have same rpodcution
1 coal was going down in production deleting station adn building new one, making train shorters stabilized the station production but not growing later 30 years in the game the production is double
while the
the 2 forest lost production drop to a low production and struggle between 2 numbers

so in 10 routes only 2 behave normal as expected from the game and slowly but steadily growing they were 100 plus units andnow they are 2000+ units

the rest coal are around 150-250 units
1 coal is at 60 units!!!! refusing to grow

now with monorail
the 2 forest have wentup in production but still their value fluctuates every month
1 forest is 72-108 units and the other 72-90 units
and m coal mine is stil at 60 units refusing to grow

this is the first game i see such a behaviour from the industries i have
in all the game i have played with transport tycoon , transport tycoon deluxe, anf now wit ottd
industries have always grow slowly but always grow
now this is not the case
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

ANIKHTOS wrote:industries have always grow slowly but always grow
The problem with human memory is that it's selective, that is, it is lying to you (omitting counter examples you have seen).
This makes that what really happened and what you believe happened two different things, which may differ wildly.

As two trivial counter examples:

- Ever had a message "industry production decreases by XX%" ?
- Ever tried growing oil wells in temperate climate?

As to why this industry behaves like this, no idea, but it looks within the allowed behavior of random production changes, it seems.
The simpler strategy here is to stop serving the industries, and let them die, new ones will appear.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Alberth wrote:
ANIKHTOS wrote:industries have always grow slowly but always grow
The problem with human memory is that it's selective, that is, it is lying to you (omitting counter examples you have seen).
This makes that what really happened and what you believe happened two different things, which may differ wildly.

As two trivial counter examples:

- Ever had a message "industry production decreases by XX%" ?
- Ever tried growing oil wells in temperate climate?

As to why this industry behaves like this, no idea, but it looks within the allowed behavior of random production changes, it seems.
The simpler strategy here is to stop serving the industries, and let them die, new ones will appear.
well i do not look the industries every year
i buidl a line and i check it after some years to see how it is going

some fast checks is in the station to see if there are too much cargo waiting for transport

so while it is possible for an industry to go down a bit a year in the cycle i look them they always grow :-)

anyway i was just curious but if this is normal then no problem

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”