Crash Savegame

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jeaston
Engineer
Engineer

Crash Savegame

Post by jeaston »

My OpenTTD install crashes on a semi-regular basis. I'm not sure why, but on one instance I had not saved for a while and discovered that the game create a crash.sav save game.

Not realising this was not a standard save game I renamed it and continued to play. It appears that every save since is also not a normal save and therefore when it crashes I don't get any crash data and get a warning message something like:
"As you loaded an emergency save game no crash information will be generated"

Is there any way I can convert this save game back to a 'normal' save. Most of my gameplay in this game is using the crash save game and if it can't be converted I'm likely to have to abandon it and start again.

I hope someone can help.

Kind regards,

John
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Crash Savegame

Post by Redirect Left »

Can you not simply re-save it under a different title from the in-game save menu? Or does that not get rid of the tag?

Ideally, you should use the autosave, if you find it irritating set it to the longest interval possible (every year I think). I find that more than adequately gives me plenty of saves to go back on, and nail down where the crashes start occuring.
They're in 'C:\Users\{WINDOWS USERNAME}\Documents\OpenTTD\save\autosave' folder for modern versions of Windows.

It'd be possibly helpful if you can give any sort of crash data from before you came across this, or perhaps even a savegame of a game you find crashes often, plus the version of OpenTTD you're using, it might help people nail down what problem you're having.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

What were the circumstances of the crash ?
Were there any NewGRFs loaded ? If yes, show me the list.
Was there any game script, AI, etc ? If yes, same thing.
If you were in absolute vanilla, what did you do just before the crash ?
Do you have the crash.sav by chance ?
ST2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ST2 »

and, most importantly, try to upload the crash files (.dmp - .log and .png).

If not mistaken those files are automatically created on exact same place where openttd.cfg file is, when OpenTTD crashes, and are way helpfull to identify what happened, in addiction of what other users already said :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

generating crash.dmp/.sav/.whatever files from loading crash.sav files is disabled, because those files can be corrupt in ways otherwise unimaginable, and that crash data would both be unusable and overwrite the previous crash data. the crash.sav is for diagnostic purposes, and it is generally unsafe to continue playing from it (in a manner worse than changing NewgGRFs mid-game). that is why the "has been loaded from crash.sav" flag propagates through to future "normal" saves.

i don't know if there is a user-facing way to reset this flag. it would probably be a bad idea to add one.
jeaston
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeaston »

@Redirect Left: I have been using the in-game save to save since the crash - but the flag seems to persist. Interestingly there does appear to be auto-saves in the folder you provided. I must have auto-save enabled and didn't know it. At least that means I didn't loose everything I have done - although from other comments I maybe shouldn't continue using this save game anyway.

The crashes have happened since I first created this game. Usually I have a recent save so it doesn't make much difference. I'm using version 1.7.2 which I thought was the most recent - but I see a newer version has been released since.

I have attached the crash.log/.png/.dmp. The .log wouldn't upload to I renamed it .txt. I will try to post the .sav separately as 3 attachments appears to be the max allowed. These are from the crash where I reused the crash.sav game file a couple of weeks ago. No further crash files have been generated due to the flag in the same game.

Crashes have happened at different times, doing different things. On time I was building a train track, another time I was looking at a possible route but not really doing much at all, another time I was looking a waiting passenger numbers.

As for NewGRFs, I have ECS & FIRS original vehicle set and FIRS industry replacement set 1.2.0. I believe I also used a scenario "A song of Ice and Fire" downloaded from within OpenTTD. There were two AIs. Not 100% sure which ones.

It would be useful to know why it is crashing. If this save game should be abandoned and start again then it would be nice to be able to play without worrying about it randomly closing.

Thank you for all your help so far.
Attachments
crash.dmp
Crash.dmp
(18.91 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
crash.txt
Crash.log (renamed .txt as upload of .log rejected)
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
crash.png
crash.png
(272.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jeaston
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeaston »

Crash.sav is attached (albeit renamed slightly so I knew what it was).
Attachments
crash (Stark Shipping).sav
crash.sav
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

jeaston wrote:@Redirect Left: I have been using the in-game save to save since the crash - but the flag seems to persist. Interestingly there does appear to be auto-saves in the folder you provided. I must have auto-save enabled and didn't know it. At least that means I didn't loose everything I have done - although from other comments I maybe shouldn't continue using this save game anyway.

The crashes have happened since I first created this game. Usually I have a recent save so it doesn't make much difference. I'm using version 1.7.2 which I thought was the most recent - but I see a newer version has been released since.

I have attached the crash.log/.png/.dmp. The .log wouldn't upload to I renamed it .txt. I will try to post the .sav separately as 3 attachments appears to be the max allowed. These are from the crash where I reused the crash.sav game file a couple of weeks ago. No further crash files have been generated due to the flag in the same game.

Crashes have happened at different times, doing different things. On time I was building a train track, another time I was looking at a possible route but not really doing much at all, another time I was looking a waiting passenger numbers.

As for NewGRFs, I have ECS & FIRS original vehicle set and FIRS industry replacement set 1.2.0. I believe I also used a scenario "A song of Ice and Fire" downloaded from within OpenTTD. There were two AIs. Not 100% sure which ones.

It would be useful to know why it is crashing. If this save game should be abandoned and start again then it would be nice to be able to play without worrying about it randomly closing.

Thank you for all your help so far.
crash.txt says you are using OpenTTD 1.7.1 and not 1.7.2. Error or...?
jeaston
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeaston »

Hm...Maybe the first crash prompted me to update to the new release. I thought it was prior to the crash but apparently not. The crash is still happening in version 1.7.2 though.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”