cannot buy new engine

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

novanetasroc
Engineer
Engineer

cannot buy new engine

Post by novanetasroc »

version 1.7.2
I build a railway, and buy 2 engines for 2 trains.
But cannot buy new engine for new railway that did not connect with old railway.
When I tried to recall the train to railway depot, and sell those engines.
I can't still buy new engine. There're no options in the build/buying list.
Is there anyone can help?
Thank you.
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: cannot buy new engine

Post by vrn »

Could you elaborate a bit? A screenshot of the problem would help aswell.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Assuming you're not using any NewGRFs, most likely the rail technology you are using is no longer producing engines. For example, you built standard steam/diesel rail and you're late enough into a game that those are stopped being made. Upgrading your track and depot to the next level of technology (for example, upgrading from rail to electric rail) will get you new engines. Steam and diesel can run on electric track, but this won't work when upgrading to monorail or maglev.

Another option is to go into the game Settings menu and enable the setting "Vehicles never expire" (may need to enable Advanced or Expert settings first), and then open the console (~ key), type "resetengines", then ~ to close the console again. This will re-enable all the old engines for the rail type.
novanetasroc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by novanetasroc »

Hi Kamnet,

Yes ! I found it's the problem ! I build the diesel rail so I can't add new engine. Because when I tried to build new electric track, I can buy new engine....
However, when I tried to upgrade the track, it also shows this track cannot be upgrade.
So maybe I need to save some money and rebuild new rail..

Thank you for your support.

kamnet wrote:Assuming you're not using any NewGRFs, most likely the rail technology you are using is no longer producing engines. For example, you built standard steam/diesel rail and you're late enough into a game that those are stopped being made. Upgrading your track and depot to the next level of technology (for example, upgrading from rail to electric rail) will get you new engines. Steam and diesel can run on electric track, but this won't work when upgrading to monorail or maglev.

Another option is to go into the game Settings menu and enable the setting "Vehicles never expire" (may need to enable Advanced or Expert settings first), and then open the console (~ key), type "resetengines", then ~ to close the console again. This will re-enable all the old engines for the rail type.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Have you tried upgrading the depot, or building a new one?

Edit: Your description is very hard to understand, "I cannot do X" can only be answered by an exhaustive list of all reasons why X would not work, so you can verify all of them. Something complicated like buying an engine can fail in a few zillion different ways (lots of edge cases that could happen), it's a long list.

If you
- give many more details (what did you do exactly, at the level of mouse clicks, opening windows etc, with an explanation of what you see what you expect and how any difference is a problem for you),
- or show us in a picture
- and/or in a (preferably small) save game example,

we can see what you're doing and what the response of the game is, or we can load the game and experiment with it. Likely that will give you much more direct answers to your questions.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The only reason I can think of that you can't upgrade the track is because there is currently a train on that piece of track, or if there is a reserved path on it (although I wouldn't think this is a problem, it's been long enough since I've gone thru the game mechanics that I can't say for sure).

Send all your trains on a line to a depot, then use the rail conversion tool.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”