long time loading - suddenly

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

szwagropol
Engineer
Engineer

long time loading - suddenly

Post by szwagropol »

hi all

I have very strange issue happening, suddenly loading time on some of the station (passengers and mail) have increased very very much. For sure it is not a case of length of the train, I have 7 tiles station and train is 3 tiles long, passengers and mail are waiting, but train loading 1% by ... month!

no idea... how to fix it?

what's more - it started suddenly, was ok before....
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: long time loading - suddenly

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Maybe you have updated some newGRF, and its author/s changed the load parameters in this one. Check it out.

If that's not the case, you'd better upload your saved game here. Someone will be able to help you more with all that data.
Last edited by SilverSurferZzZ on 25 Feb 2018 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Are you using a NewGRF vehicle set ? Did you replace vehicles ?
Please note that a lot of trains load slower compared to others, even in the base set.
szwagropol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by szwagropol »

I'm using PKPPolish set and scenario Poland. Attached my save. Please check station (P) Szczecin.... somethng very weird, there are trains that is loading very slow - coming from station Kołobrzeg, while others, with SAME set of wagons - but coming from different station (Gdańsk) - those loading fast.

next one is station Wałbrzych, and (P) Wrocław Stare Miasto.

thanks for helping...
Attachments
Polexpres, 3 lut 1974 waznw.sav
(684.88 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
szwagropol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by szwagropol »

Hmmm, on one?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

szwagropol wrote:Hmmm, on one?
Take it easy, it takes a while before people are home and have done all the daily things before having time to look into your game :)

Anyway, it looks like a cargodist thing:
Screenshot_20180226_174211.png
Screenshot_20180226_174211.png (147.66 KiB) Viewed 323 times
This is the case we're talking about right?

As you can see in the station window, there is no mail for the destination of train 99, so it doesn't load anything. Anything that appears here for the destination is immediately loaded into the train, so you'll only see progress by an increasing amount of mail in the train.

If you open the settings window, you will notice that mail is "symmetric". This means that a) cargodist is controlling mail destinations, and b) the amount of mail in one direction will be mostly equal to the amount of mail in the opposite direction.
Now since Kołobrzeg is very very small, it generates very little mail, so cargodist will also send very little mail in the opposite direction, which means most mail in Szczecin will not go to Kołobrzeg.

Some things you can do
- Your train is too large for the amount of transported mail. Make the train shorter, or let it also visit other destinations (so that mail for the other destinations will hop on board as well).
- Drop the "symmetric" mode, and switch to "asymmetric". Then mail in one direction and mail in the other direction are independent, over the entire map, so big shifts in mail transport may happen.
- Drop cargodist delivery by switching to "manual". Then you are in full control, and mail will hop onto the first train, instead of being routed by the program.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
szwagropol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by szwagropol »

oh man! thanks a lot. it explains a lot. never though there is something like this "symmetric"! hehe. wondering what else I will find ;-)
for now I will change to "asymmetric", but then I will start again knowing that rule.

again - thanks Alberth! topic closed.

ps. this game will never stop surprising me... since so many years while I'm back to it again and again :-D sorry for being impatient but it was worried me whole day, I spend a lot of time developing this scenario...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”