Certain industries never show up (FIRS3)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Certain industries never show up (FIRS3)

Post by lucj@n »

I play with FIRS3, Extreme Economy. I made id to the year 2050+ but not a single Smithy Forge, Blast Furnace / Steel Mill, Recycling Depot, Recycling Plant, Biorefinery or Oil Rig ever showed up on the map.
Are these industries somehow limited and appear only when some certain conditions are met? I mean, I know that Biorefinery's starting date is something above 2000 but my current game is 60 years later and there are still none of them.
When I start a new game with let's say 2010 as a beginning year they are Biorefineries on the map, but not the rest of industries I mentioned above.
Maybe I need to fund them (probably not, we can't fund Oil Rigs for example)? But even if, I can't because the button to fund is inactive (I started the game with the setting to fund new industries disabled, but there is no effect when I change it to whatever there is).
Why is that?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Certain industries never show up (FIRS3)

Post by acs121 »

Hey,

What map size are you using ? The best map format for FIRS is 1024x1024 and more (the bigger, the better).
If you're using even a 256x256 map, not all industries will appear.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

lucj@n wrote:I play with FIRS3, Extreme Economy. I made id to the year 2050+ but not a single Smithy Forge, Blast Furnace / Steel Mill, Recycling Depot, Recycling Plant, Biorefinery or Oil Rig ever showed up on the map.
Are these industries somehow limited and appear only when some certain conditions are met? I mean, I know that Biorefinery's starting date is something above 2000 but my current game is 60 years later and there are still none of them.
When I start a new game with let's say 2010 as a beginning year they are Biorefineries on the map, but not the rest of industries I mentioned above.
Maybe I need to fund them (probably not, we can't fund Oil Rigs for example)? But even if, I can't because the button to fund is inactive (I started the game with the setting to fund new industries disabled, but there is no effect when I change it to whatever there is).
Why is that?
Smithy Forge is not available after 1948, Steel Mill should be available. Everything else should be available. If it's not showing up then likely your map is too small and/or your industry density is too high. If "Fund New Industries" is disabled, you'll need to quit the game, change the settings and start a new game.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

How much flat free space do you have? Bigger industries need a large flat free space, and eg "rough" setting or higher makes all these little bumps that prevent industries from finding room.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucj@n »

Map size is 1024x1024 but I play on my custom heightmap with quite a lot of water and islands.
So it may indeed be that there is not enough room for other industries. But there is plenty of water for Oil Rigs.
On the other hand I play with very low number of industries (and cities), because I like to have one huge industry where I send all raw materials and long railways.That makes a lot of free space for anything.
Maybe these low numbers of both industries and cities prevents missing industries to pop up somehow?

But still these Oil Rigs. On my game I service almost all Oil Wells (with maxed production thanks to engineering supplies). Everything goes to the only refinery on my map. Might this be the reaseon for Oil Rigs not to show? Maybe there is simply to much oil in my economy or something.

Smithy Forge checked - I start at 1950 every game so this is a reason for its absense.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Blast furnace is not on the list for extreme firs3 http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... ml#extreme
Haven't checked the other industries. Note that the docs may differ wildly between different firs3 versions.

As for time, 1950 is quite late for firs, I usually start around 1840, and earlier is possible. For trains I use Iron Horse or Nuts.
lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucj@n »

I looked on my ingame map for the list of industries and this is where I get all industries with (0) from.
Yeah, Blast furnace is from different economy but it's equivalent of Steel Mill in Extreme. I just copied the whole name from the FIRS website since I play in different language and wasn't sure what is a proper name for it in English.

I wasn't aware of the date. Thanks for a tip. I start every game from 1950 probably because it's a date vanilla game starts and I've never even consider changing it. And this is my first FIRS game ever (btw I love it!). My next game is going to start in the 18th century then.

Iron horse is already on my list for the next game as well as other means of transport from the same author. I will have a look at Nuts though. Thanks.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Normally oil rigs appear at the start of the 60s. Starting in 1950 you won't have any !
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Oil Rigs also prefer a distance away from shores. Your custom map may not allow for these rigs to spawn.
lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucj@n »

Thank you for all suggestions. So it seems to be a mix of starting a game too late (1950) and my custom heightmap used as a base for ingame world.

PS this game is awesome.
lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucj@n »

Sorry for post under my own, but another question arose.

I have a station with Arable Farm and Fruit Plantation in its range. They both need Farm Supplies to boost production. But it looks like all Farm Supplies I deliver to this station go to only one of the industries and never to the other, even if the first one has production already at its maximum.
Is there a way to force these Farm Supplies to be shared between two of industries other than building two separace stations?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

no
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

lucj@n wrote:Sorry for post under my own, but another question arose.

I have a station with Arable Farm and Fruit Plantation in its range. They both need Farm Supplies to boost production. But it looks like all Farm Supplies I deliver to this station go to only one of the industries and never to the other, even if the first one has production already at its maximum.
Is there a way to force these Farm Supplies to be shared between two of industries other than building two separace stations?
I play with JGR's Patch and what I do is transport (farm supplies) to say the train station (arable farm) attach a lorry bay to this station (so they are as one, same name) and then set up a lorry station at say the (fruit plantation) and of course a road between.
This enables any excess delivery to the first to be transpoted by lorry to the second industry and thus enable both to raise their output.

I have always use JGR's patch so do not know if this works in 'standar' OTTD
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

mak wrote:I play with JGR's Patch and what I do is transport (farm supplies) to say the train station (arable farm) attach a lorry bay to this station (so they are as one, same name) and then set up a lorry station at say the (fruit plantation) and of course a road between.
This enables any excess delivery to the first to be transpoted by lorry to the second industry and thus enable both to raise their output.

I have always use JGR's patch so do not know if this works in 'standar' OTTD
If you have cargodist enabled, that works, you can have cargo delivered to one station that hops onto the next transport (in your case a truck) to its real destination.
You are however still building a second (lorry) station near the 2nd industry. No way around that.
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Agreed. :D :bow:

Just trying to give a 'new player' some ideas, guidance on what is possible.
lucj@n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucj@n »

@Alberth @mak
Thanks for ideas. I'm playing without JGR, and cargodist only for mail and passengers.
I like to have only one industry to serve as much secondary industries on the map as possible, so indeed cargodist for other products may be usefull.
I guess I will have to try it on my own in the next game to resolve my doubts.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

You can also set "transfer" in the order list at the unloading station and work with lorries as described above. But you can set this only for the complete vehicle, not only for one freight type. That could lead to unexpected behaviour, especially in cases of a train with different freights in it's different carriages. However, it might ba an option for some cases.

Tschö, Auge
Last edited by Auge on 01 Mar 2018 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

lucj@n wrote:@Alberth @mak
Thanks for ideas. I'm playing without JGR, and cargodist only for mail and passengers.
I like to have only one industry to serve as much secondary industries on the map as possible, so indeed cargodist for other products may be usefull.
I guess I will have to try it on my own in the next game to resolve my doubts.
This is the fun part of OpenTTD, you can invent goals for yourself and try to achieve them.

For example, I spend a lot of time to figure out how to serve all industry with free cargo flow. That is, connect all supplying industries of a cargo to all industries that use it, for all cargoes on the map.

As for your supplies problem, maybe a tactic that I use could be useful. I attach a supplies wagon to the end of a train that delivers cargo to the factory. While each train is a little longer, it eliminates a a lot of the supplies network, and you get proper synchronization between cargo delivery and supplies delivery for free.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”