Readme if you have problems with multiplayer

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

anderas wrote:I'd like the binary too, but the source is the most important thing, as me and my friend both run Mac OS X. I guess you don't have a binary for that, so I'll just compile it myself if you could provide a patched openttd source... Zip is fine :)
that's nice. Mac users, who will compile from source if they have to :wink:
I guess I could make a binary tomorrow with those changes. It would be nice to know if it fixes anything for you

Just the idea of reconnecting at desync saves many situations and that's ok as long as it do not happen too often. It fixes the symptom, but not the source of the problem :wink:
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I made a binary for mac
it includes the auto reconnect thing+ the closeclient() stuff
It also contains sign_de's autofind server
start the client with
-n auto
and it should connect to a server on the local network, but so far I have not got that to work on mac, so please test

http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s991088/Open ... mental.sit

to install, just put the extracted binary into a 0.3.3 OTTD folder. You might want to backup the 0.3.3 binary so you can revert to an official version
zmith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zmith »

Hi guys,

First of all I want to thank you all for your great work, I also play openttd (v. 0.3.2.1)multiplayer on the net. But after a couple of minutes I get the network sync error. My OS is Windows XP, I think I also need the patch discussed here, but were can I download the right version I need? And can somebody tell me how I 'install' the patch?? PLEASE HELP ME!!

Zmith
VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VPN-User »

zmith wrote:Hi guys,

First of all I want to thank you all for your great work, I also play openttd (v. 0.3.2.1)multiplayer on the net. But after a couple of minutes I get the network sync error. My OS is Windows XP, I think I also need the patch discussed here, but were can I download the right version I need? And can somebody tell me how I 'install' the patch?? PLEASE HELP ME!!

Zmith
You can' t just "install" a patch. A patch is a file which only consists of code changes in the sourcecode. You have to have the sourcecode, the patchfile which will be merged into the sourcecode and an environment for compiling the whole thing (compiling on windows means making an .exe out of the sourcecode which can be run directly).
zmith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zmith »

Ok, I have downloaded the patch, which is a .txt document when I downloaded it. Now I need to find the sourcecode, where is it? And what is SVN? A program or something?
VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VPN-User »

zmith wrote:Ok, I have downloaded the patch, which is a .txt document when I downloaded it. Now I need to find the sourcecode, where is it? And what is SVN? A program or something?
I don' t think I am going to explain everything here.

The (release) sourcecode is on sourceforge, where you downloaded the binary of openttd.

Ask some of the coders where you can get the source of the latest SVN (Means SubVersioN, a system for managing and merging code produced by several coders, like CVS which means Concurrent Version System)
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

You may want to try the latest release as that is much more stable. Also I will have ago at writing a FAQ / intro to SVN in a min as loads of people seem to have no idea what it is.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

lucaspiller wrote:You may want to try the latest release as that is much more stable. Also I will have ago at writing a FAQ / intro to SVN in a min as loads of people seem to have no idea what it is.
sounds good. If you post it on the forum, it could be made a sticky, if it's good enough (or edited) :wink:

about svn, there is a (short) guide here http://www.openttd.com/development.php

the general rule is that if you have a problem, check if there is a newer release before starting to yell: bug
zmith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zmith »

Thanks for your help, but I have found the solution myself. Before playing you need to send your openttd.cfg to the other players so that its the same, then I can play without any problems! If you delete your openttd.cfg, which I tried, you still have the problem only then after a couple of minutes. I still have one question: How can I play this on my local network?
This situation doesn't work: I am the host (openttd.exe -n) and the other computer is client (openttd.exe -p 1)! We also got a server (kind of router) but I think I do need the IP of my computer and not the IP of my server, well where can I find the IP of my own computer?
Thanks for helping me out!
Lordrod
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lordrod »

zmith wrote:well where can I find the IP of my own computer?
for Win2k or xp
start->run->cmd->ipconfig

for win9x
start->run->winipcfg

for linux
shell->ifconfig
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Or in the latest svn run the client with the -n auto parametres.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

When continually trying to test a local connection by starting a server and a game and then making a connection to localhost I receive this error on the server:

net: got client from 127.0.0.1
Error: network savedump failed
ttd: ttd.c:64: error: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted

Any help as to why?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

You need to set up the graphics for the game first.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

Welll... I can play a normal game fine. It's just multiplayer that bugs out.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I think this is a problem with UDP because it doesn't allow a client and server on the same machine.
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

Well, I've also tested it across a network (though this was Linux to Mac) and got the same symptom.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Hmmm, which version are you using?
Pipian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pipian »

0.3.3 currently, and it also failed to work in a recent build, though at one point through some strange rigamorole, I'd managed to get it working, though only once.
DoorToKaos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DoorToKaos »

I tried to apply the patch from lucaspiller to the svn from yesterday... after hours of trying i got it compiled but always i try to start the new .exe file i get the following error:

Code: Select all

Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Programme\OpenTTD\openttd.exe
File: ../../spritecache.c
Line: 257

Expression: b

For more information blablabla...
Does anyone have an idea how to fix it? Or could someone simply send me an executeable with this patch applied?
Oh i forgot to say: i used MinGW Developer Studio to compile it and i'm using Windows XP Professional

Thanks in advance.

[edit] and why has the new executable the size of about 2.5 MB when the old one (from version 0.3.3) has only about 500 KB? [/edit]
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

spritecache.c usually means that the version of your grf files do not math what the executeable think it should contain. You should look at the grf files that follows OTTD. They are located in the data folder. They properly needs updating

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”