multiplayer, only LAN?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

multiplayer, only LAN?

Post by Wolf01 »

i have 3 pc linked togeter with a LAN, but i was thinking, it's possible to connect to another pc through internet?
i and my friends have an ADSL modem and I wanted to know how to link the games
Shef
Engineer
Engineer

Game over inet

Post by Shef »

Hello,

I tried it yessterday, and basicly, it's functional, and you can enjoy the game over inet with your friend.

But, you'll have a problem if you're behind the router with ip masquerade.
Anyway the server openTTD can't be behind the ip masquerade or you'll be unable to connect. I don't know if openttd can trace the game on some port, that means if you're behind the router you should configure it and direct the ports on the IP's of your local LAN. But I haven't tried it with openttd yet, I should have a look on source code of network interface next week.

Another problem is that openttd don't have a good network interface now, and is really bad when there is some packetloss, if you have some problems with packet loss, you'll get the "Network desynchronised" message from openttd very periodicaly, and it kiks you from the game.

Enjoy your game,
when some better version will be released we may make some TTD battle over inet.

Shef
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Game over inet

Post by Wolf01 »

Shef wrote:Hello,

I tried it yessterday, and basicly, it's functional, and you can enjoy the game over inet with your friend.

But, you'll have a problem if you're behind the router with ip masquerade.
Anyway the server openTTD can't be behind the ip masquerade or you'll be unable to connect. I don't know if openttd can trace the game on some port, that means if you're behind the router you should configure it and direct the ports on the IP's of your local LAN. But I haven't tried it with openttd yet, I should have a look on source code of network interface next week.

Another problem is that openttd don't have a good network interface now, and is really bad when there is some packetloss, if you have some problems with packet loss, you'll get the "Network desynchronised" message from openttd very periodicaly, and it kiks you from the game.

Enjoy your game,
when some better version will be released we may make some TTD battle over inet.

Shef
I have only noticed now that in my OTTD i can't play on multiplayer because appear an error that say "Multiplayer is not implemented in OTTD yet"
I played it only with TTDX and i thought that also in OTTD i could play
13th Ghost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 13th Ghost »

Hi,

i tried yesterday the Multiplayer over internet with a friend, evreybody of us where behind a Router and the game works fine.

1. You and you friend have to delete the Openttd.cfg in the main directory

2. Start the game (server with -n or i start it with -d -n (in the debug window you will se whene he attach to server).

3. Server take all configurations and starts a new game

4. After server starts the game, the client now have to login and start with -n IP or -d -n IP.

5. After client connects, the guy on the client have to click on new game, on the Server the window new game will grow up. Now press on the server on random game.

6. now both are in game and can play perfect.

Thats what we do yesterday, works fine over hours.

Greats,
13th

Sorry for the non god english
Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver »

So that would look like that opentt.cfg would delete would fix the networdk Desync? Interesting; surely gonna try it later this week.
Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver »

Ok, it worked! Host sends his opentt.cfg; client places it (mind you cannot change 1 option, not even resolution) so discuss what you both want.

Then it works! :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”