OpenTTD 1.7.1 Cursor/Mouse not drawing for frames when game is paused.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Coovargo
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD 1.7.1 Cursor/Mouse not drawing for frames when game is paused.

Post by Coovargo »

On a new world, this does not seem to be an immediate issue, however, I have one save that I've verified is causing issues. The mouse when moving will sometimes skip a frame render, or partially render on the screen when the game is paused. As worlds get heavier and heavier, the issue can become more pronounced. This can be occasionally be noticed when the game is unpaused but the effect is much easier to ignore, as it may skip once every 9th frame, whereas paused it can skip 5 frames or more. When paused, you can lose track of the mouse because it's skipping draws where you might expect it to be. I noticed there was a note relating this issue regarding high rate polling mouses (G500, the exact one I was using) , but I've tried two different mice, a cheap one and this one, as well as laptop hardware. I tried the save on three different hardware configuration platforms:

Platform 1: Desktop.
AMD 8350X @ 4.9GHZ
Nvidia 680GTX 2 SLI (Verified single GPU/Non-SLI configuration, results in same issue)
16GB DDR3 2666

Platform 2: Desktop.
Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5GHZ
AMD Radeon 5850
8GB DDR3 2400

Platform 3: Laptop.
AMD A8-4500M 1.9GHZ APU
AMD APU/GPU.
6GB DDR4.
(Touchpad input used)

Notes:
The issue does not appear any worse, or better, across all platforms. It seems to take a few seconds for it to appear on load sometimes though.

Troubleshooting done so far:
Capture the issue with a desktop viewing software, such as bandicam.
Result: The mouse appears perfectly fine when reviewing.

Verified Vsync is not causing the issue:
VSync is not causing the issue, even when forced on or off.

Modify Nvidia/AMD control panel settings to get desired result:
After exhausting all the functions, none of the settings would reduce this issue.

If anyone can help me resolve this please let me know. I don't see any options to force render a hardware/OS cursor. Thank you for any assistance.
Attachments
Test Corp, Sep 15th, 1994.sav
This is the save file that has the issue that is occurring for me.
(539.54 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Coovargo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.7.1 Cursor/Mouse not drawing for frames when game is paused.

Post by Coovargo »

I have posted the image of a display of the issue that shows on external monitors.

It would be hard to show it where frames that it doesn't render with an image. I don't see a reason. If you can replicate it let me know. I suspect you should be able to.
Attachments
PartialRender.png
Showing mouse partially rendered.
(2.81 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”