Upkeep airport overrated ?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

foxthib
Engineer
Engineer

Upkeep airport overrated ?

Post by foxthib »

Hello,

I'm new on openTTD and I tried lot of config for games. Recently, I allowed the upkeep (lowest cost) building but I don't understand a thing. When I build two small airport (the first one), the upkeep for one year is about 80 000£. Is that a bug or a normal behaviour ?

If it's normal, how is it possible to earn money with an upkeep of this range ? Simply build two airport destroy entirely economy.

Does anyone tried this ?

Thanks in advance !
Sylf
President
President

Re: Upkeep airport overrated ?

Post by Sylf »

It sounds like you have infrastructure maintenance cost enabled. It is possible to make money with airplanes while the infrastructure maintenance cost is enabled, but you have to keep the airport busy at all time, and all air routes must go far enough, but not too far that airplanes don't break down before they reach the next destination.

If you are just getting started with the game, you can turn this cost off in the settings (Accounting / Infrastracture maintenance).
foxthib
Engineer
Engineer

Post by foxthib »

Hey, thanks for reply !

Okey so with this infrastructure maintenance cost enabled it's impossible to start with airport and for earn benefics you need to full up your airport that's means lot of money for build airports, planes and upkeep (like one million or more for just start airport ?).

Train station and trucks station upkeep is almost inexistant (even hundred of them) in comparaison with just one small airport. Is that balanced ?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

foxthib wrote:Hey, thanks for reply !

Okey so with this infrastructure maintenance cost enabled it's impossible to start with airport and for earn benefics you need to full up your airport that's means lot of money for build airports, planes and upkeep (like one million or more for just start airport ?).

Train station and trucks station upkeep is almost inexistant (even hundred of them) in comparaison with just one small airport. Is that balanced ?
It is, actually. For years when we didn't have infrastructure maintenance cost, it was so easy to win just by building two airports and transporting passengers on a few planes. Now there's a challenge and a call for using airport strategically.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”