Property Maintenance Issues

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Property Maintenance Issues

Post by DeletedUser10 »

I turned off infrastructure maintenance cost in the settings, but I STILL have to pay property maintenance cost.
What went wrong?
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Property Maintenance Issues

Post by Alberth »

Random guess: you turned it off in the main menu, then loaded a game.

Reason in that case: Saved games and scenarios have their own settings, only a few settings (nothing game-related, stuff like preferred interface language etc) are copied from settings of the main menu.
Solution: Change the setting after loading the game (ie from the in-game window).
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

There's always a small maintenance cost for stations, which can't be turned off.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Property maintenance has always been there, but Infrastructure sharing just allows for more realistic and challening costs, so you have to watch how you build.

You can't disable Proper Maintenance completely, though you could get a BaseCost Mod and set all the proper maintenance costs really low for rail, road, station tiles, etc.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

leifbk wrote:There's always a small maintenance cost for stations, which can't be turned off.
Thank you VERY very much.
I played a map with cluster of stations, and I gave billion Japanese Yens of property maintenance cost...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

ir1n1o57 wrote:
leifbk wrote:There's always a small maintenance cost for stations, which can't be turned off.
Thank you VERY very much.
I played a map with cluster of stations, and I gave billion Japanese Yens of property maintenance cost...
Yeah, with Infrastructure maintenance on, it costs a lot per station tile.

Even without it on it still costs a decent amount for station tiles and road pieces. Its best to try and keep things simple in the beginning and get a few decent profitable lines before you start really building up your company or decorating your stations with non-track tiles (like station buildings, parking lots, etc)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

NekoMaster wrote:Property maintenance has always been there, but Infrastructure sharing just allows for more realistic and challening costs, so you have to watch how you build.

You can't disable Proper Maintenance completely, though you could get a BaseCost Mod and set all the proper maintenance costs really low for rail, road, station tiles, etc.
BaseCost MOD? Where can I DL it?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

ir1n1o57 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Property maintenance has always been there, but Infrastructure sharing just allows for more realistic and challening costs, so you have to watch how you build.

It is a NewGRF.
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

What is the difference between word "mod" and word "NewGRF" ?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

"Mod" is often shorthand for "modification(s)". Many modern (ie. newly developed or actively maintained) games uses them - OTTD is one of them. "NewGRF" is the way how "mod" are handled in OTTD as well as TTD installs that have been patched with TTDPatch. "GRF" is short for "graphics resource files", the container used originaly for all the graphics etc. in the game. Now we have NewGRF because they weren't meant for modifications/addons. For comparison, in many SCS Software games (most famous nowadays being ETS2 and ATS), the mod files are .zip or .scs files.

tl;dr it's technicalities. NewGRF is mods for OTTD.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

YNM wrote:"Mod" is often shorthand for "modification(s)". Many modern (ie. newly developed or actively maintained) games uses them - OTTD is one of them. "NewGRF" is the way how "mod" are handled in OTTD as well as TTD installs that have been patched with TTDPatch. "GRF" is short for "graphics resource files", the container used originaly for all the graphics etc. in the game. Now we have NewGRF because they weren't meant for modifications/addons. For comparison, in many SCS Software games (most famous nowadays being ETS2 and ATS), the mod files are .zip or .scs files.

tl;dr it's technicalities. NewGRF is mods for OTTD.
And what about patches in OTTD?
Are they also NewGRF?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
ir1n1o57 wrote:And what about patches in OTTD?
Are they also NewGRF?
No, they are not. Patches are changes that has to be applied to the source code of the game. The program must be (re)-compiled afterwards to contain the changes in the game.

Tschö, Auge
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

ir1n1o57 wrote:

You can get it from the Online Content downloader ingame. The button should be right there on the main menu when you open OpenTTD
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

ir1n1o57 wrote:And what about patches in OTTD?
Are they also NewGRF?
...No. Patches are, just as their name suggest, changes the behavior of the game - often to "fix" things. They change what the game fundamentally could do, what the framework allows, and they do this straight to the "heart" - the source code itself, the program itself. One example is Cargo Distribution, now available in the actual main official version of OTTD. Previously, back to the original Transport Tycoon, cargoes in-game are just generated, and they don't have a specific destination for them to be delivered. There were no way to tell any cargo that you should only be delivered somewhere. But CargoDist changes that - "fixes", patches it.

Other case were how do we end up able to have multiple kind of rails other than the original four, how we can have 128 (?) levels of height up from the original 16, etc. These were limited by how computers were back when original TT was released, and as codes can't automatically change between computers, the only way out is to have a patch. Might have been just a change in one string and other needed changes and such, or could be a standardization so subsequent changes really only need one change of string (savegames, I know). In case of rails, the railtype implementation allows them to be modified from NewGRFs.

Other case were the path signals. How train can be governed with signals more advanced than just being simultaneously red (pre-signal) was the idea I guess ? Also to enable two trains in the same block... basically what wasn't allowed under the original TT. Comes handy with new pathfinders, which until today needs hard changes to the program. Maybe one day we'll come around to have those from NewGRFs, and those changes will need to come in a patch !

Comparison to other games... Well, lots of games doesn't exist long enough to have a community version of it I think, but patches are basically game updates. Just that as OpenTTD is the way it is, everyone could do it.

--------

@ Kamnet : good idea. I won't call NewGRFs mod again. Too close to "moderator" anyway. Also, great writing.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”