Towns not growing?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Towns not growing?

Post by cybdan »

I have two towns, one of 4.8k ppl and the other has 5.8k.

I connected them through a huge airport and made train station attached to the airport, so definitelly there's a lot on going there, I exchange between this 2 towns passengers, mail and valuables.

I also sending to each town goods from a nearby refinery.

Still towns not growing.

Before posting I already readed the wiki about towns. Assuming I'm not doing anything wrong since I'm exchanging multiple cargo types and also sending goods to this towns then they should grow. Been already.... more than 5 years for sure of this exchanges and never growed up.

What should I do?
Attachments
Self explainatory screenshot.
Self explainatory screenshot.
pinga ttd, 12 May 2025.png (122.47 KiB) Viewed 986 times
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Towns not growing?

Post by _dp_ »

On temperate all you need for town to grow is having some active station (5 stations for max growth speed). It doesn't matter what you transport, how much or where.
Trick is though, for station to count its sign has to be within town zone and there is no way to see exact zone without patched game build like citymania one. As far as I can tell your stations or rather their signs are too far from town center.

Alternatively you can fund buildings in local authority actions, that will make it grow for 2-3 months.

P.S. Wiki has loads of gibberish on town growth.
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

_dp_ wrote:On temperate all you need for town to grow is having some active station (5 stations for max growth speed). It doesn't matter what you transport, how much or where.
Trick is though, for station to count its sign has to be within town zone and there is no way to see exact zone without patched game build like citymania one. As far as I can tell your stations or rather their signs are too far from town center.

Alternatively you can fund buildings in local authority actions, that will make it grow for 2-3 months.

P.S. Wiki has loads of gibberish on town growth.

Weird, I just added 1 more source of goods from wood factory nearby of each city and they started to grow both every 19 days.

At least now they grow and I'll be able to carry more passengers \o/

EDIT : NOT growing again. I don't understand anything anymore :<
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

There is also a random 1/12 chance that town on temperate will grow by itself. So mb you got lucky. Anyway, ignore things that don't matter and check what I told you about: number of active stations in town zone, I bet you have none.

Or just build smth like this and it will start growing in a month or two:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Also, never build on the tile where the city name itself is hovered above. This used to (and may still) ruin the city growth.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Do you have any gamescript loaded?
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Could you upload your save mayhap? From what I can see on the screenshot, unless you have some sort of city growth gamescript enabled, the towns ought to be growing.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

Can you post a screen cap of your plane and train vehicle orders?
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

Hey guys sorry for late, didn't re-check, answering your questions, I only use UniversalRailType 2.0.1 GRF modification, the rest is the original game itself, no scripts no nothing.

Train orders are like go this station and go to the next station, that's it, there is no load/unload. Maybe its because of that? Will try to setup a train with full load/unload and see what happens.

EDIT : I Setup the mail train to load/unload, will see if town starts to grow, but anyway, plains do come from the near wood factory and those do have load/unload orders.
Attachments
pinga ttd.sav
savegame for those interested.
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
train orders, no load/unload
train orders, no load/unload
pinga ttd, 18 Ago 2032.png (161.65 KiB) Viewed 986 times
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

_dp_ wrote:There is also a random 1/12 chance that town on temperate will grow by itself. So mb you got lucky. Anyway, ignore things that don't matter and check what I told you about: number of active stations in town zone, I bet you have none.

Or just build smth like this and it will start growing in a month or two:
How can I check active?, I got 2 stations now on each town, so the main station is to transfer between both towns passengers, valuables and mail. The secondary station just receives the goods from the wood factory nearby.

Now one of the towns is growing permanently while the other doesn't. I don't know anything anymore, I'm so confused.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

cybdan wrote:
_dp_ wrote:There is also a random 1/12 chance that town on temperate will grow by itself. So mb you got lucky. Anyway, ignore things that don't matter and check what I told you about: number of active stations in town zone, I bet you have none.
How can I check active?, I got 2 stations now on each town, so the main station is to transfer between both towns passengers, valuables and mail. The secondary station just receives the goods from the wood factory nearby.

Now one of the towns is growing permanently while the other doesn't. I don't know anything anymore, I'm so confused.
Here: http://imgur.com/a/lkQzY
Both airports are clearly outside towns. Carnley truck station is inside but it isn't active. That's why nothing is growing.
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

_dp_ wrote:
cybdan wrote:

Here: http://imgur.com/a/lkQzY
Both airports are clearly outside towns. Carnley truck station is inside but it isn't active. That's why nothing is growing.
Well, I did place two different stations closer to the city center and sent goods there, now both growing at decent rate.

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know for growth stations should be around an invisible area that can only be revealed by game modifications after all this time playing TTD, LOL.

Will have it in mind for future games :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”