CPU exceed

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

CPU exceed

Post by ccomley »

I added ONE more train, and all of a sudden, everything's going at a snail's pace. It's clearly taking a lnog time to "do the rounds" of updating each vehicle, station, etc.

OK, so that' "max" for this computer, no more trains!

But I have since deleted over 500 road vehicles - ones with no orders (Street Traffic AI) so probably a lot more route decisions than "normal" vehs. I would have thought this would have backed off the CPU loading, but even after exiting and re-starting, it's all still going at the speed of a legless snail in thick treacle.

Is there any way via the console perhaps of finding out what's using up all the oomph?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: CPU exceed

Post by Alberth »

I'd start by asking the operating system what other processes are running.

Maybe it decided to index all your documents, or run a virus check, or so.
Second item would be the CPU temperature. These things have thermal overload protection, which basically means they slow down when they are getting too hot.
Third tiem is whether processes are swapping to disk. Basically, when there is not enough room in the computer main memory, some parts get parked onto the harddisk, until it is needed again. Depending on how often data is moved back and forth, this can get very slow, as harddisks take eons to respond, in terms of CPU cycles. General solution here is to use less main memory, ie kill a few big other programs.

Within OpenTTD, trains are probably relatively harmless (not an expert here). More tricky are ships, and AIs.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Oh, I checke that - Procses Explorer at the ready. Nope, just this maxing out one core. Chrome open of course but three whole spare cores to live in, and it's a TAD tight on ram but that doesn't explain why it suddenly goes into limp mode.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

If I recall correctly, the game runs single-core, only saving makes use of multi-core capabilities, so the important aspect here is how well can that single core handle the particular save you're playing in its current state.

You said you started experiencing this after adding one train; I don't know if that was hyperbole or if you meant it literally, but if you did mean it literally, is it any train at all or just a particular route? Could it be something with the pathfinder?

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”