Replaced a large airport with an international airport but

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SugarySnax
Engineer
Engineer

Replaced a large airport with an international airport but

Post by SugarySnax »

Replaced a large airport with an international airport but the planes are now looking for the old airport. The old airport had been linked to a bus station. I thought I'd done this many times and planes would land at the new airport because they somehow got the message that new airport replaced the old airport but that didn't happen this time and I've reloaded and tried several times. Also, when I placed the new airport I tried holding down control to link to the bus station but it wouldn't give me that option. The only option offered was build a separate airport.
MonChrMe
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Replaced a large airport with an international airport but

Post by MonChrMe »

Is Ctrl-linking turned on it the game options? If not, that could be why you didn't get the option. If it is, my moneys on the new airport being bigger, and that causing the linked station to be too spread out - which would explain why you didn't get the option.

Normally, you don't need to ctrl-link if it's touching the bus station, as if they're touching they're automatically linked anyway. If they weren't touching, it could be the corner you were 'placing' the airport from was out of range of the bus station, or that the station spread would have been too large (check your settings). It sounds like you've accidentally created the station as a new station with a separate ID, which in turn means that the aircraft can't find it as they've not got the new station ID in their orders list; they're still looking to land at the bus station.

Quick fix might be to pull up the airport and put it back down again if the authority will allow it. if it's not touching the bus station, it might be worth finding (or opening) a tile that will touch the airport, and ctrl-click building a bus/lorry/1x1 tile train station there just to create that touch.
SugarySnax
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Replaced a large airport with an international airport but

Post by SugarySnax »

Thanks for the quick response.

Ctrl Link is turned on because there are places on the map where I can link stations that way. I tried building a bus station right against where the new airport would touch. That new station linked but I didn't get the option to link to any station when I put down the intercontinental airport.

For some reason I turned up the hostility on towns and I've got AI and I'm allowing them 600 road vehicles. That's not working out too well. I may be starting over again soon or I may just watch. I did buy a lot of land around airports for the ultimate upgrade to intercontinental. Sometimes I even leveled the land and was surprised to see I still owned the land once it was leveled. (I thought I might have to buy it again)

I have billions but I hate to spend it on tearing down cities and buying permission to destroy cities so I can put in airports and train stations. I should just do it because what else is there to spend my make believe money on?

I think my next play through there will be no AI, 2000 road vehicles or maybe no road vehicles and very permissive, fast growing towns, 1000 trains and no airports.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”