Open TTd on a USB stick

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SOSCQUDNMGY
Engineer
Engineer

Open TTd on a USB stick

Post by SOSCQUDNMGY »

Hi Folks .

This is a question rather than a problem . I want to have the version im playing to be ( portable ) by having it on a USB stick so that I can play the games in any of my computers at home . As there is an Open Tdd folfer in My Documents as soon as the game is run it scans this folder , is there any line in any configuration file that i can tell the game to look for this folder in the drive i now have the the game in = G:drive so that it will find the Newgrfs and other stuff there rather than looking for it in My Documents .
Scautura
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Open TTd on a USB stick

Post by Scautura »

Move the config file into the OpenTTD folder on the USB stick - voila, OpenTTD is now portable (everything that would normally be saved into the OpenTTD folder in Documents will now be saved in the game folder on the USB stick instead)
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.
SOSCQUDNMGY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SOSCQUDNMGY »

Ok thanks for that , so if the game does not detect the Open TTD folder in My Documents the next time i run the game , will the game scan this usb drive to ( find ) that folder and the next time i download a file will the Download migrate into the now moved Open TTD folder on the USB drive ?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

You can essentially make OpenTTD Portable by put your OpenTTD.cfg in the same folder as your OpenTTD.exe (or what ever executable file your system uses)

This will allow you to run OpenTTD from a single folder location that you can move around, be it on the same computer, the network, or on portable storage.

It would appear that OpenTTD looks first in its own director for the configuration file and uses that instead, even if there is already a version in My Documents

---

I use to put OpenTTD on my flash drive when I was in school as I figured out ways to get around the schools user limitations (like pulling the ethernet cable just as you log in on Windows XP which would load up Windows XP as a regular user rather then a very limited user account set up by the school admin)

The only issue with putting OpenTTD on a Flash drive or other slower flash based media (like SD Card, CF Card, etc) is that it takes a lot longer to load up and save games. Though other then that things should work fine (even downloading so long as you have enough free space on your flash drive)

If anything, I'd recommend a higher quality USB FLash drive, perhaps something with USB 3.0 (doesn't have to be super expensive though, my 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 111 costs only 26 Canadian Dollars)

Even better would be a portable external hard disk, one of the smaller kind that runs soley off usb
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
SOSCQUDNMGY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SOSCQUDNMGY »

Yea A fast operating Flash drive woudl be the best option . Thanks so much for th3 advice and the speedy reply ... :D :D :D
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

NekoMaster wrote:The only issue with putting OpenTTD on a Flash drive or other slower flash based media (like SD Card, CF Card, etc) is that it takes a lot longer to load up and save games. Though other then that things should work fine (even downloading so long as you have enough free space on your flash drive)
To get around the longer load/save times, could you not temporarily place the folder onto the PC that you are using, then move it back into the USB/Flash Drive at the end?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pilot wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:The only issue with putting OpenTTD on a Flash drive or other slower flash based media (like SD Card, CF Card, etc) is that it takes a lot longer to load up and save games. Though other then that things should work fine (even downloading so long as you have enough free space on your flash drive)
To get around the longer load/save times, could you not temporarily place the folder onto the PC that you are using, then move it back into the USB/Flash Drive at the end?
You could but if you have a lot of mods it'll take forever copying stuff back. Plus you may not always be able to copy to the computer your on.

My USB 3.0 Flash drive gets 12-20MBps read's when copying to any disk, but slows down to 1-2MBps when copying many small files like GRF's to it. A 400 MB installation with mods and basesets can take a little while and thats not good if you need to get going quickly.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
SOSCQUDNMGY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SOSCQUDNMGY »

My main reason for all of this is after a recent pc failure( not the hard drive tho ) and when i installed the hard drive to another pc and tried to load a game , i got the mesage ( invalid chink size ) Now i dont have a clue what that means but i could not get any of my games back .
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SOSCQUDNMGY wrote:My main reason for all of this is after a recent pc failure( not the hard drive tho ) and when i installed the hard drive to another pc and tried to load a game , i got the mesage ( invalid chink size ) Now i dont have a clue what that means but i could not get any of my games back .
You got Invalid chunk size in OpenTTD? Thats usually due to trying to load a patched or newer game version save in a older version of OpenTTD or a version without patches.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”