Too many soccer fields

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

peteloud
Engineer
Engineer

Too many soccer fields

Post by peteloud »

Six years ago someone wrote in saying there were too many soccer fields appearing. It is still the same now.

Has anyone a suggestion about how this could be reduced. I might need more thn a suggestion in order to do it myself. I haven't done anything with OpenTTD since 8 years ago when I made some large, real life scenarios of Northumberland
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Too many soccer fields

Post by Baldy's Boss »

As far as I know there's a quota of one per municipality.

What bothers me is that they are always the same size regardless of the population of the town.
peteloud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by peteloud »

Baldy's Boss wrote:As far as I know there's a quota of one per municipality.
It seems like that. That seems far too many, considering many points of habitation are very small.

I feel that it would be better if they didn't appear until places reached a particular size, and that only one in three places had a sports field.

How can it be changed, or an alternative offerred?
Last edited by peteloud on 03 Jan 2017 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

peteloud wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:As far as I know there's a quota of one per municipality.
It seems like that. That seems far too many, considering many points of habitation are very small.

I feel that it would be better if they didn't appear until places reached aparticular size, and that only one in three places had a sports field.

How can it be changed, or an alternative offerred?
I imagine that one of the issues with the Football (soccer) fields is that, the game was originally British-made, and even really tiny villages in the UK have a football stadium, though not quite of the same size as the ingame ones. Take Bala, in Wales, for example. A town of 2k people, with a football stadium that can hold 3k people.

If you scaled Bala down to TTD scales, it would like be a town of about 100 people, if not less, so this wouldn't be fair off accurate.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Same for Germany. Sure, usually they're just empty grounds, but you get them everywhere ("bolzplätze". I think this town here - 7000 inhabitants - has, let's see, 7. 1 per 1000 inhabitants ^^;).

Anyway, only way to change it is code a different town set. Could theoretically be set up like with Japanese town set and skyscrapers, so that stadiums only appear at a certain town size or something. But it's probably easier bulldozing them if you don't like them. If they haven't spawned yet, a "solution" would be using a GRF like, for example, EmptyGRF ;) and place empty tiles around the current 1x1 buildings so the town can't build 2x2 ones. ^^
Dave

Post by Dave »

There were rumblings about a graphic set which added alternatives, such as a cricket field or village green. Don't know what came of that.

I'm still not convinced about smaller fields, but at TTD scale it'd probably be got away with.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I would like to see a succession from roped-off field by a pub for small crossroads/villages to Old Trafford/Wembley/Maracana sized for the largest cities.
The number of tiles should also increase.

That also would take recoding,I gather.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I would like to see a succession from roped-off field by a pub for small crossroads/villages to Old Trafford/Wembley/Maracana sized for the largest cities.

While I believe it is a bad idea to push any real-world model onto OpenTTD, all this is still firmly in standard NewGRF land as far as I can see. In other words, make a better[1] house set, and many of your problems will disappear.

[1]: for some value of better.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:I would like to see a succession from roped-off field by a pub for small crossroads/villages to Old Trafford/Wembley/Maracana sized for the largest cities.

While I believe it is a bad idea to push any real-world model onto OpenTTD, all this is still firmly in standard NewGRF land as far as I can see. In other words, make a better[1] house set, and many of your problems will disappear.

[1]: for some value of better.
AFAIK code sets 2x2 tiles as maximum size for any building and both maximum and minimum for any stadium.Neither of these would apply in my concept.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:AFAIK code sets 2x2 tiles as maximum size for any building and both maximum and minimum for any stadium.Neither of these would apply in my concept.
That's for normal town buildings. If you code whatever you want as industries, you're not restricted to any specific size.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Is there a method of specifying that a number of buildings will only appear once per town?

As in... if I had 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 sports buildings, could I specify that I only want one of them to appear per town? You could definitely do it for a single building - I know that much.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I believe you can. As I recall you can set a(ny) house to have the stadium flag, and I believe each town will limit itself to only one 'stadium' at a time. I am sure there are more exotic and nuanced ways to achieve your goal, perhaps found in Japan Set or TaI?

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”