Fault in configuration file ... ignore missing newgrf

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dschimmi
Engineer
Engineer

Fault in configuration file ... ignore missing newgrf

Post by Dschimmi »

Hi there,

first i have to say sorry for abusing/spamming the forgot password function, i'm reading here for over ten years and was sure i have an account created already ... but obviously i haven't ...

I have messed something with my configuration ( i think ) ... i'm searching now a couple of hours for a solution because im sure my problem has been solved in the past, but i can't find an answer in google, the ottd wiki or here in the boards, so i need to ask you for help.

When i start the game it tells me to update round about 500 newgrf files - thats fine, but now i downloaded the Yet Another Patch Pack (YAPP) and this is telling me something about a faulty configuration file and missing grfs.

That happens when i try to load a saved newgrf preset ... and the question is where is the setting to tell this game where to search for newgrf? Every other Versions (Stables, Nighlies, PatchPacks) have no Problems to find the files.

Thanks in advance for you Help!

[edit]sry, topic was german ...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Fault in configuration file ... ignore missing newgrf

Post by NekoMaster »

First off, typically if the OpenTTD.cfg file is in Your "My Documents/OpenTTD" folder, then it should automatically use your "content_download", "newgrf", and "data" folders from inside your "My Documents/OpenTTD" folder

(And yes, OpenTTD still loads from a folder called Data if its present, Both NewGRF and Data can exist in the same area. I do this myself and put TAR files into newgrf and regular unpacked GRF files into the Data folder)

Though if your OpenTTD.cfg file is inside the same folder with your OpenTTD Executable file (.exe for windows, nothing for linux, and I believe .dmg for mac) then OpenTTD will try to load from the above folders from the same location as the executable, though for some reason it won't load from the content_download folder from your "My Documents/OpenTTD" folder. So you'll see it load from your Documents Data and NewGRF folders but any content you downloaded before may not show up.

It's also possible theres some lines in your configuration file in the NewGRF section like the preset [newgrf-static] that may have been put there by accident. I believe it automatically loads grf's despite what ever preset you load up or even hit "none" for a clean slate.

Other then that I have no other idea what could be going on. These are just some of the few things I would check myself first.

Alternatively you could back up your OpenTTD.cfg file and try making a new one. This wont remove any save files or content you already have downloaded, its just that having a new configuration file means you'll have to set up all the settings again (and possibly mess with the configuration manually via notepad or what ever text editor you use)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Dschimmi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dschimmi »

Thanks for your reply NekoMaster,

i know what you mentioned ... the question was how to tell that "specific" version, where to search for the files, but i think there is no option for that?

anyways, i have setup the files in a data directory inside the the game dir and made the presets new, now it works ... almost ... but the problem that no cargo is produced is another one i think ...
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

Dschimmi wrote:how to tell that "specific" version, where to search for the files, but i think there is no option for that?
There is such possibility.

You need to use console and pass additional argument:

Code: Select all

openttd.exe -c <your_custom_path>/openttd.cfg
where <your_custom_path> is your custom directory with all the stuff.

On Windows you can do this also by modifying a shortcut. Create a shortcut somewhere to openttd.exe, open "properties" of the shortcut and add the -c option after executable e.g. change this:

"C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/openttd.exe"
into this:

"C:/Program Files/OpenTTD/openttd.exe -c C:/Users/Dschimmi/Documents/MySecondaryOpenTTDProfile/openttd.cfg"
and all stuff will be in "C:/Users/Dschimmi/Documents/MySecondaryOpenTTDProfile" instead of the default location. Quotes ( " ) are important.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”