OpenTTD on Android

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kathaklysm
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD on Android

Post by Kathaklysm »

Hi all,

Just found out openTTD exists and was excited to replay this tycoon, especially since I saw it is available on Android so that I could play on my tablet. But... It doesn't work (for me) :(

Will you guys help me troubleshoot it?

I'm trying on Fire HD 8 (6th ed) with Fire OS 5. Tried latest, earlier, and 1.5 versions and all crash at start (at first run, it downloaded the stuff) but then it crashes on the screen where i can change display options (no game started, practically).

Thanks!
Cheers!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD on Android

Post by NekoMaster »

Kathaklysm wrote:Hi all,

Just found out openTTD exists and was excited to replay this tycoon, especially since I saw it is available on Android so that I could play on my tablet. But... It doesn't work (for me) :(

Will you guys help me troubleshoot it?

I'm trying on Fire HD 8 (6th ed) with Fire OS 5. Tried latest, earlier, and 1.5 versions and all crash at start (at first run, it downloaded the stuff) but then it crashes on the screen where i can change display options (no game started, practically).

Thanks!
Cheers!
Firstly, it's possible that even if Fire OS is built on Android it may not have all the libraries and dependencies that OpenTTD for Android requires. It may or may not be possible to get all that yourself but who knows with modified Android OS'es.

Secondly, it's also possible that OpenTTD for Android may not like your devices screen resolution and hardware, and freaks out when trying to change the resolution or display methods.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

It's worth remembering that OpenTTD does not carry official support for Android. It works just fine on my OnePlus phone and did so on an old Samsung Galaxy I used to have. Fire OS is most likely the culprit here. Still, try updating the OS to its latest configuration.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Kathaklysm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kathaklysm »

I guess it is because of Fire OS; it is the latest version. Have tried different resolutions but still crashes.

PC it is...
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

It says that OpenTTD requires google play games,maybe that's the problem... ?(
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've pushed new version 1.7.1.69 to Amazon Appstore, it should be available tomorrow.
I have no idea what is happening on Fire tablets, Amazon does not provide any crash info.
At least their internal app testing tool shows that the app starts okay on Fire HD 8, all editions.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For what it's worth, I just got a Fire 8 HD and installed OpenTTD on it from Google Play (didn't realise until after that it was also available in the Amazon store). It works perfectly for me - very nice port, and plays well! I know what I'll be doing on my flight to Birmingham next week! :)
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Yes it's cool. I played it on my P9 in 32bpp with a bluetooth mouse.
Thanks for the port
Corpduo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Corpduo »

Hi!
I'm not sure if this is going in the correct thread, so please forgive this noob.
I'm trying to figure out how to enable the two finger press cancel action on openttd android, which has been removed at some point :-) I've played this on Android for several years and now returning to it, I automatically press with a second finger if I can see something I'm about to build is wrong. This used to cancel current action, but now things are just build. I need help to enable this cancel action?

All help is much appreciated :-)

Thanks!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Two-finger cancel works okay in latest 1.9.3.84

Maybe it's disabled in your config? Try to uninstall and reinstall the app from Play Store.
Corpduo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Corpduo »

Thanks - that did the trick. And now I know what's going on. When I set confirm actions to "false", then two finger cancel stops working.

I can't say whether this is a new problem, because for a long time, I didn't upgrade because I couldn't find how to disable confirm actions and therefore stuck with an older version :-D

I think I will make a suggestion to make these two options independent of each other :-) can anyone guide me to where I should go and do that? :-)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

That's a bug, I'll try to fix it in the next version.
Corpduo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Corpduo »

Cool! Thanks! Really appreciate this game!

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”