max amount of goods production

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

moprala
Engineer
Engineer

max amount of goods production

Post by moprala »

I don´t know if i´m right but i think there is a max amount of goods production isn´t it?
A friend and I were playing together and we added a lot of forests to a goods production and then there was a point where it doesn´t increase its production anymore.
Is there a sollution to increase the max amount of goods that were produced?
I know the max amount of produced wood is 2550 and thats ok for us, but we would be really happy if there wouldn´t be max production of goods.
Let me know if there is anything out there to just unlimit the goods production.
Thank You.

And sorry if there are mistakes. German is my main language. :mrgreen:
Sylf
President
President

Re: max amount of goods production

Post by Sylf »

No, it's not possible to exceed 2550 tons of production per month for forest.
For other primary industries, the monthly limit is 2295 units per month.
It's documented here in detail.

There is one way you can have these industries more than these limits: write your own industry set (create your own industry NewGRF). This topic can go far beyond this thread. You'll be writing some code and create a new plug-in for the game. It's better to ask for the details in more appropriate forum.

P.S. Don't worry about the bad English - English is second language for so many of us around here, including myself.
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

I belive you misunderstood me.
I was not talking about forests. Their max production of 2550 tonnes is ok for me like i said.
My Question was about the goods production of factories/sawmill. The more wood you deliver to it the more they produce, but there is a max production for factorys/sawmill, i don´t know the exactly number but it was about 25k-32k.
We tried to add more and more forests but the production was on max i think.
And now i´m looking for something that unlimits the production of factories/sawmill. Forests and every other industries can stay on their actual limit.
But for me it´s normal that the production of a factory/sawmill increases if u deliver more material so i don´t know why there is a limit, even if its a very high one but it´s still there.
We just wanted to create a really really huge goods factory with a lot of trains but it´s not working when there is a max production for factories/sawmill. :(
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Indeed, that was a misunderstanding.
The secondary industries (Factory, Sawmill, Oil Refinery, Food Processing Plant etc) can produce up to 2295 units of cargo per month per tile. Because sawmill has 8 tiles, it can produce up to 18360 crates of goods. For a factory with 12 tiles, the max is 27540.

At least that's my understanding.
And as far as I know, there is no way, even with custom built NewGRF.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm only making a guess from what I've observed in the game so far.
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

Thank you for telling me. Hard to find detailed information like that.
I hoped there would be a GRF out there that could help me.
Maybe there is an other solution like two sawmills instead of one.
We just wanted to have one huge goods production with one huge rail station.
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

When i build a new sawmill the hole production will be trasfered to the new one instead of splitting it... :(
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes. only the industry closest to the station sign will get all the cargo. you need several stations if you want to service more than one industry
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Eddi wrote:yes. only the industry closest to the station sign will get all the cargo. you need several stations if you want to service more than one industry
but it works if the industries take different cargos.
like with a sawmill and a steel mill. the steel mill doesn't use wood so it would go to the sawmill. and vice versa with the ore.
I once had a station with three industries on it.
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

TimeLapse1357 wrote:
but it works if the industries take different cargos.
like with a sawmill and a steel mill. the steel mill doesn't use wood so it would go to the sawmill. and vice versa with the ore.
I once had a station with three industries on it.
That sounds interesting and ill try that for an other map.

Would be awesome if it would work like i said. (split up) I hope there is anything out there that can help me.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I honestly don't know if enabling CargoDist would be a solution here. I would think that, in theory anyhow, if you had all of your wood being delivered to one station, and you had three sawmills next to that, when one sawmill maxes out its production and cannot accept any more wood, that CargoDist would assign the excess wood to another lumber mill. But I could be very wrong on that.

What will absolutely work is to place your receiving station so that it isn't in the cachement area of the industry, and then set up a feeder service from each sawmill to the receiving station. Instead of just unloading the cargo, transfer the cargo to the station so that any available vehicle from the lumber mills will be able to pick them up .
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

That are two very interesting solutions.
Thank you so much. :bow:
I´ll try it out today or tomorrow and let you guys know if it works with CargoDist.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

doesn't CargoDist send cargo to stations (not industries)?

also if using CargoDist make sure that EVERY train that could possibly carry wood entering that station has 'no loading' orders. especially if the train is coming from a source that is sending wood to more than one station.

But, if you are using FIRS then the feeder system with CargoDist will work better.
moprala
Engineer
Engineer

Post by moprala »

You are completely right.
CargoDist is not working because it just sends to stations like you said.
So there is still no real solution for my project. ?(
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yeah, that's right WRT CD. So the solution then is to space out your industries and then put this station outside of their cachement areas. Build 3 new receiving stations at each industry and send a truck or a small train to go get them. CD will then create three new final destinations for the wood to go to.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Maybe this game might be a useful reference. I don't remember the details and I'm not a place where I can verify the game, but it has single area on the map where all the trains go, and drop all the wood on the map. And wood is the only cargo used in this game.

This and this are couple more examples of similar set up, as far as the factories/candy factories go.
bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bvoice360 »

Cargo is delivered to the closest accepting industry to the platform the train arrives at, and for all of your trains that is just one sawmill, so try funding one on either side of the wood-yard or breaking up your station into smaller yards that do not share a sawmill in their catchment areas (control-click when building a station to join it to another that is no more that 64 blocks away at its furthest point).

I learned this using ECS and its production/stockpile limits, so I think it will work here
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

@bvoice360:
Platform has nothing to do with it, it's only the station sign that matters, as Eddi already explained.

@moprala:
Yes there is a maximum, as you already found, and it's not possible to get around it in an easy manner. NewGRFspecs define a max capacity.
If you insist on 1 industry, you'll have to do a lot of rewriting to do, in NewGRFspecs, at least one NewGRF industry set, and in OpenTTD itself.

I don't know what your goal is, but if you want to measure production, making 2 stations with 2 industries will also work, just add production of both industries together.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
bvoice360
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bvoice360 »

unless that model does not work in the default, but certainly in ECS if two sections of the same station are separated and have an industry on a different side, the industry that gets the cargo from a train that arrives depends on which side of the station it uses.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

bvoice360 wrote:unless that model does not work in the default, but certainly in ECS if two sections of the same station are separated and have an industry on a different side, the industry that gets the cargo from a train that arrives depends on which side of the station it uses.
I'd like to dispute that.
ECS Station Acceptance Dispute.sav
(397.93 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Any questions?
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

moprala wrote:You are completely right.
CargoDist is not working because it just sends to stations like you said.
So there is still no real solution for my project. ?(
In your layout there is a rail line between the red station and the sawmills.
put that line in a tunnel and move the center sawmill one tile to the west so it touches the red station.
move the southern sawmill one tile north so it touches the yellow station.
delete the northern sawmill.

now each station has a sawmill that is closer to it than the other.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”