Is Random Seed on new game creation gone?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

fieari
Engineer
Engineer

Is Random Seed on new game creation gone?

Post by fieari »

I haven't played in a few versions, and just downloaded the most recent version on the main page (1.5.0 beta 1). When I last played, I was used to tweaking my settings and grfs to my liking, and then regenerating my world with the same seed. In this version, there doesn't seem to be a spot on the New Game window for using a specific seed. Has this feature been removed? Is there a secret way of re-accessing it?

I had started a new game with a particularly interesting looking seed, but then realized I wanted an 1860 start, not an 1800 start (so I could have ships with Fish2)... and while I have the seed written down, there seems to be no way to get it back. I am sad.
Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Is Random Seed on new game creation gone?

Post by Rollerghost »

I miss that option too. I use it quite a lot for the same reasons you mention.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

fieari wrote:I haven't played in a few versions, and just downloaded the most recent version on the main page (1.5.0 beta 1). When I last played, I was used to tweaking my settings and grfs to my liking, and then regenerating my world with the same seed. In this version, there doesn't seem to be a spot on the New Game window for using a specific seed. Has this feature been removed? Is there a secret way of re-accessing it?

I had started a new game with a particularly interesting looking seed, but then realized I wanted an 1860 start, not an 1800 start (so I could have ships with Fish2)... and while I have the seed written down, there seems to be no way to get it back. I am sad.
It's only gone from the GUI. You should still be able to set it via command prompt (open with key left of '1' usually), the variable is called 'generation_seed': set generation_seed XXX where XXX is your desired random seed. Then have OpenTTD re-generate the map.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Would it be possible or make sense to include a place in advanced settings to enter it?
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

You can also use the console command "newgame 12345" to start a game with the selected settings and a specific seed.

Advanced setting does not sound useful since it is in a different window.

Anyway, if we gain a map generation preview, a randomise button would make sense again.
Maybe also a seed entry, though the seed has always been pretty useless, since you also need to have all the settings (including some advanced settings, and NewGRF) to be the same.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

maybe entering the seed could be hidden as ctrl+click on this hypothetical randomize button
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Hm, is this right? Using OpenTTD 1.5.0 RC1

Code: Select all

]
]set generation_seed 2953721201
]getseed
Generation Seed: 4022468488
]
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

kamnet wrote:Hm, is this right? Using OpenTTD 1.5.0 RC1
You need to distinguish current-game-settings and new-game-settings.

"getseed" will aways refer to the current game.
In-game "setting generation_seed" refers to the current game settings. Changing it affects "restart".
In-game "setting_newgame generation_seed" refers to new games. Changing it affects "newgame".
In main menu both "setting" and "setting_newgame" refer to new games. Changing it affects "newgame".

In your example you used "getseed" and "setting" in main menu. The former gives you the seed of the intro game, the latter the seed for new games. To read the value of a setting use "setting" resp. "setting_newgame" without appending a new value.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

frosch wrote:
kamnet wrote:Hm, is this right? Using OpenTTD 1.5.0 RC1
You need to distinguish current-game-settings and new-game-settings.

"getseed" will aways refer to the current game.
In-game "setting generation_seed" refers to the current game settings. Changing it affects "restart".
In-game "setting_newgame generation_seed" refers to new games. Changing it affects "newgame".
In main menu both "setting" and "setting_newgame" refer to new games. Changing it affects "newgame".

In your example you used "getseed" and "setting" in main menu. The former gives you the seed of the intro game, the latter the seed for new games. To read the value of a setting use "setting" resp. "setting_newgame" without appending a new value.
getseed.png
getseed.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
1.I uploaded a scenario map and it did not work. Newgame or restart has always been another random map.
In the picture it has the same number, but the map is visibly different from the scenario. I need to load the same map after the game has ended automatically, but it does not work for the scenario map. And the parameter in the openttd.cfg file does not exist to retrieve scenario again after automatic restart.

2. In other cases, I do not need generating generation_seed in the openttd.cfg file, I need the game to be random, but it is not. The generation_seed parameter is always generated :-(
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

try "settingnewgame" instead of "set"?
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

Eddi wrote:try "settingnewgame" instead of "set"?
It does not work. This generates a completely new map with a different generation_seed and without all of the NewGRFs set.

Probably the number generated with the getseed command is valid only for random maps. When I get a scenario map, the getseed command shows me a number that when I use I get a completely different map after "restart" or "newgame"...

If there was a parameter that would automatically re-run a scenario map after the previous game, I would not mind, but I do not know any such parameter.

I want the random game to be random, so it does not generate the same generation_seed, and to make the specific scenario maps repeat after the game. Is it an impossible dream?
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if the default behaviour doesn't work for you, then you might customize it by using the admin port

the random seed is pretty much useless for scenarios, as it was the random seed set when somone started the scenario editor, and has nothing to do with how that person used the scenario editor later

also, the same seed may generate different maps depending on other settings like town density, town names, house newgrfs, start year, etc. and also game versions can give different outcome

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”