Adjacent stations issue

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Adjacent stations issue

Post by Andrex »

In some cases like the seen in this screenshot, the only way to expand a station (in this case, Sleepybrisge Station) is to hold Ctrl because the station is adjacent to a competitor's truck loading bay and this raises the inexplicable "Too close to another station" error message. But this method generates a totally new station instead of joining the station.

I'm guessing this behavior is "by design" and therefore the sole idea of discussing it is inadmissible, but the problem is there and I simply can't expand the station because of this contradictory implementation of the Ctrl key.

I want to expand the station, not to make a brand new one. Is there some workaround to avoid this problem?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Adjacent stations issue

Post by Eddi »

there is a setting to allow joining non-adjacent stations. then a window will pop up asking you whether you want to build a new station or join an existing one when using CTRL
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

i suppose this is what he did, but nevertheless a new station was created OR he didn't see the popup !? or hit enter or whatever..
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Andrex wrote:I'm guessing this behavior is "by design" and therefore the sole idea of discussing it is inadmissible
Have you considered looking into some kind of stick-removal service? :roll:

The "inexplicable" error message is TTD legacy, afaia. We've often discussed changing this behaviour (most recently in your thread from three months ago), but no-one's yet felt strongly enough about it to make it happen.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Eddi wrote:there is a setting to allow joining non-adjacent stations. then a window will pop up asking you whether you want to build a new station or join an existing one when using CTRL
Do you mean the Allow joining stations not directly adjacent setting? I can't try that because such setting is disabled by the server. :?

Also, my train stations are directly adjacent, therefore I'm evidently trying to expand the station, not making a new one. Why would I want to make a different train station directly adjacent to an existing one? This simply makes no sense.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The workaround would be to delete the "other" station and expand the original one in its place.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Andrex wrote:therefore I'm evidently trying to expand the station
so you go into a supermarket where all prices are in € and then complain at the cashier "i'm evidently trying to pay in £. so you must let me do that"?

the semantics of the function is clear. there is no bug. nothing to see here. move along.

also, you can expand a station by partially overbuilding an existing part of the station. unless your "god-given server settings" also disallow non-uniform stations.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Chrill wrote:The workaround would be to delete the "other" station and expand the original one in its place.
That is a very ugly workaround, as it means redoing the orders of all vehicles stopping at that station. I agree with Andrex in this case, it would make more sense if the game would expand the original station without complaining about the competitor station, then forcing the creation of a new station all together.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

then how long until someone complains here that he wants to make a new stations instead of extending an existing one?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Isn't that the point of the pop-up? Why does it need to be disabled if non-adjacent stations are disallowed?
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Chrill wrote:The workaround would be to delete the "other" station and expand the original one in its place.
Deleting the station creates the problem that the city will expand too quickly in this case. Anyway, as usual we don't get a solution but a workaround to the problem.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Andrex wrote: Do you mean the Allow joining stations not directly adjacent setting? I can't try that because such setting is disabled by the server. :?
Clearly the solution is don't play on servers that have settings/newGRF configuration you don't like
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
Andrex wrote: Do you mean the Allow joining stations not directly adjacent setting? I can't try that because such setting is disabled by the server. :?
Clearly the solution is don't play on servers that have settings/newGRF configuration you don't like
Of course, or play another game such as SimCity.

The setting is irrelevant, I wanted to expand the station with a an actually adjacent one. Nevermid, the workaround of deleting the station is the only solution here.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Isn't that the point of the pop-up? Why does it need to be disabled if non-adjacent stations are disallowed?
Indeed, why not show the pop-up? Why block the building of the station if a competitors station is next to your building place? Or where are these actions handled in the game code, so someone could patch it without having to dig through the whole code?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Transportman wrote:
Pyoro wrote:Isn't that the point of the pop-up? Why does it need to be disabled if non-adjacent stations are disallowed?
Indeed, why not show the pop-up? Why block the building of the station if a competitors station is next to your building place? Or where are these actions handled in the game code, so someone could patch it without having to dig through the whole code?
To start with, the better way to deal with the problem would be filling a bug report. Because as I understand the thing, it is one. If the settings do allow building distinct adjacent stations, even between competitors (which they clearly do - otherwise the new station tile wouldn't have been built), the behaviour I would expect, would be that one: when trying to build the new tile, a box popups and asks (as usual) whether we want:
- build a separate station
- if not, to which station we want to attach the new tile station.

Now, to do that, it'd be necessary that Andrex makes a diplomacy effort and stops speaking to everyone as they were idiots.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

There you go.
Attachments
fix-build-adjacent-stations.diff
(6.48 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”