Starting/Making a Server

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Starting/Making a Server

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

I am in no way a tech-savvy person. I know how to use a computer and my phone. But when it comes to attempting to start a multiplayer game in OpenTTD I am completely and utterly lost. I would really appreciate it if I received help. I don't understand how to setup a server or what that remotely means. I read the wiki and multiple other sources for help and I am just confused. Where do I start? All I really want to do is play online with my friends. I would like to start a server that we can play on. I know for one thing that my firewall is down. I understood that much. I hope that someone on can offer me assistance!

Please feel free to ask questions since I'm sure a lot will arise from this since I feel what I'm asking is somewhat vague. All the best!

Kannst du Deutsch sprechen? Ich hoffe! Danke! (Thank you)
#nodentistforme2day <333
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Starting/Making a Server

Post by Zuu »

Assuming you have an router (or ASDL modem or similar), you need to log in to that and forward the ports that OpenTTD uses.

This wiki article outlines what you need to do to set up a multiplayer server:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Server

It doesn't cover everything that can go wrong in all possible local network configurations. So, if you run into a problem, please tell us more details about your situation, what you did and what you expected to happen.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

The very first thing you have to determine is whether you have a public IP. If your ISP provides you internet access through NAT (thus you have private IP rather then public) then you will have to use some VPN software like Hamachi.

If you don't know, follow these steps (I assume you are on Windows):
1. Open console (press [windows key]+R, type cmd and hit [enter])
2. type tracert openttd.org
3. show us the output
4. tell us how do you connect to the internet (ethernet cable? wifi? phone line? do you have any router/mode/other device?)
Last edited by adf88 on 29 Jul 2013 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

adf88 wrote:like Hamachi.
I strongly recommend to NOT USE THAT. It's terribly borked by re-using non-private IP addresses for private purposes, thus shutting you off from parts of the internet.
adf88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by adf88 »

planetmaker wrote:It's terribly borked by re-using non-private IP addresses for private purposes, thus shutting you off from parts of the internet.
That's probably case of server configuration, not the software itself. So if their public servers do this or if default server configuration does this then yes - it's their fault.
:] don't worry, be happy and checkout my patches
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

1. Open console (press [windows key]+R, type cmd and hit [enter])
2. type tracert openttd.org
3. show us the output
4. tell us how do you connect to the internet (ethernet cable? wifi? phone line? do you have any router/mode/other device?)
I posted an image of the results from this below. I'm unclear what the means though. (as expected)

And I have a phone line that I use to connect to the internet, DSL. I also have an AT&T router.

From the wiki I see TCP and UDP and I have them both open on my firewall.
But on the wiki it says :
You also need to make sure that port 3978 is opened/forwarded for UDP connections if you want to show up on the server list, as that is used to notify the master server of your server's presence.]
I am unclear on what this is saying.

I am very grateful for the responses and I thank everyone helping me through this process!

Ihr seid toll! Ihr müsst das wissen! Danke! (Thank you)
Attachments
Console.png
(58.91 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
#nodentistforme2day <333
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

#LIVEITUP 2O!3 wrote: And I have a phone line that I use to connect to the internet, DSL. I also have an AT&T router.

From the wiki I see TCP and UDP and I have them both open on my firewall.
Opening the ports in you computer's firewall is not enough. You need to tell your router that these two ports are forwarded by it to your computer for incoming traffic for the respective protocols. How that looks and can be done depends on the router. Mind can be configured via web interface at an address like http://fritz.box - yours likely has something similar, the manual will tell you.
default settings wrote:OpenTTD uses TCP and UDP port 3979 for server <-> client communication, UDP port 3978 for masterserver (advertise) communication (outbound), and TCP port 3978 for content service, a.k.a. BaNaNaS (outbound)
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

This is where I am at. I think I'm doing it correctly. I honestly do not know.

Danke! (Thank you)
Attachments
Port Forwarding.png
(127.9 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
#nodentistforme2day <333
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

How did you get there? What does your manual say?
Related: Made some changes to the mentioned wiki page. More verbose and hopefully easier to understand. How about it?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

How did you get there? What does your manual say?
I typed in my internal IP address in the address bar and it brought me to my router's website with all of its information.

Now the problem I am facing is that I just can't forward any ports. I went to multiple websites that check if specific ports are open and each one said that they were closed. Please is this image I have posted below correct? And if so, then why is it saying that these ports are closed?

Ich liebe OTTD! Du sollst auch! Danke. (Thank you)
Attachments
Port Forwarding II.png
(118.88 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
#nodentistforme2day <333
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

Bueller?
#nodentistforme2day <333
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

what about the same with port 3978?
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

planetmaker wrote:what about the same with port 3978?
Yes. It still says that the port is closed. My goodness this is frustrating. I must be doing something wrong. All I am trying to do is "simply" open 2 ports.

Sounds like it's easier said than done.

Ich brauche viele helfen! tt-forums, ich brauche euch!
Attachments
Port Forwarding III.png
(25.06 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
#nodentistforme2day <333
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Does your router offer a dialog for 'port forwarding' rather than just opening ports?

What I miss on that screen is that it doesn't seems that you have told your router what local PC it should forward incoming data to.

In my experience, using a generic 'port forwarding' screen in the router works better than trying their application/games/server pages. But that is just experience from 2-3 routers. Yours may be different in which type of configuration screen that you want to use. However, no matter what it is called in the router, what you want to say is:
- Incoming traffic on port 3979 (UDP+TCP) should be directed to local PC at some local IP (192.168.1.x or 10.x.y.z)

Outgoing traffic on port 3978 (UDP+TCP) is also wanted, but usually just works unless the router firewall or your local firewall blocks it.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
#LIVEITUP 2O!3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by #LIVEITUP 2O!3 »

Thank you everyone for your help! Everything is a success and I owe my thanks to you all!!!

Jetzt ich kann spielen!!! Danke!
#nodentistforme2day <333

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”