Can't Connect to Content Server.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Josephmate
Engineer
Engineer

Can't Connect to Content Server.

Post by Josephmate »

I just downloaded OpenTTD the other day and I saw that I couldn't connect to the content server I thought it was that the servers were down but four days had passed and still no luck. So now I'm here asking you guys for help. I can't check any Online Content or all I get is the error code saying, "Could Not Connect To Content Server......" I am Running on Windows 7 64-bit and using version 1.3.1. So please help
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Can't Connect to Content Server.

Post by YNM »

First of all, I recommend to check your internet connection... as it requires internet to work. I just tried that from my computer and it works well, even I upgraded some NewGRFs. Using 32-bit r25389 through.

All in all, could you download anything from BaNaNaS itself manually ? It could be some sever problem, else there's a bug within that built (which is should be... unlikely).
Last edited by YNM on 04 Jul 2013 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not. http://www.isup.me/binaries.openttd.org says it's not just me.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Sylf wrote:Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not.
His problem is with BaNaNaS, not with binaries. He have OpenTTD already.

EDIT : I connected to it anyway, redirected to http://hu.binaries.openttd.org/binaries/index.html
Last edited by YNM on 04 Jul 2013 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I haven't had any problems connecting to BaNaNaS or via in-game, but I have had random and intermittent connectivity issues with tt-forums and openttd.org today.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Fine here too.

Josephmate,
Is OpenTTD blocked by your firewall?
If not, do you have the same problem with the 32bits version?
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenTTD uses TCP and UDP port 3979 for server <-> client communication, UDP port 3978 for masterserver (advertise) communication (outbound), and TCP port 3978 for content service, a.k.a. BaNaNaS (outbound)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Sylf wrote:Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not. http://www.isup.me/binaries.openttd.org says it's not just me.
That can be misleading. Our load balancer may pick a different mirror for isup.me compared to the mirror you get yourself. The mirror selection will favour a mirror near your location but also take into account the current load of the different mirrors.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

YNM wrote:
Sylf wrote:Bananas site is up, but binaries site is not.
His problem is with BaNaNaS, not with binaries. He have OpenTTD already.
From a quick code dive, I see that OpenTTD uses content.openttd.org port 3978 to retrieve list of available downloadables, and uses binaries.openttd.org port 80 by default to download the actual downloadable files.

It it seems all services are back, so I'll drop the subject.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Sylf wrote:From a quick code dive, I see that OpenTTD uses content.openttd.org port 3978 to retrieve list of available downloadables, and uses binaries.openttd.org port 80 by default to download the actual downloadable files.
I checked myself to the download links in BaNaNaS over the web, and indeed it's binaries.openttd.org.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Retreiving the list of available content is handled by a different server than the load balancer on binaries.openttd.org. That in turn will re-direct you to a mirror which then actually and finally serves the content to you. binaries.openttd.org itself will never give you a file, it's "only" re-directs you to a mirror based on availability of requested content, load of the single mirrors and distance between you and the mirrors.

See also http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=61294
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

There was a period of downtime on the US mirror yesterday morning. This was unfortunately outside of my control, and was due to a power problem at the datacentre. Sorry for the inconvenience.
uprrfan530
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uprrfan530 »

Having similar issues, my home network has not changed. Now cannot access openttd content servers unless I connect my VPN. I added Openttd.exe to my antivirus/firewall excepted applications. I tried disabling my Symantec E.P. and still no content servers. not until I connect my VPN to a local server.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

uprrfan530 wrote: 05 Mar 2021 02:15 Having similar issues, my home network has not changed. Now cannot access openttd content servers unless I connect my VPN. I added Openttd.exe to my antivirus/firewall excepted applications. I tried disabling my Symantec E.P. and still no content servers. not until I connect my VPN to a local server.
Are you seeing a specific error message when you attempt to connect? Also, are you able to reach https://bananas.openttd.org/ ?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Okay and now I'm going to report my own issue. I can connect, but when I try to download, the download stalls, and then around 30 seconds later I'm kicked back out to the main menu. No error messages.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”