what newgrfs to use when starting in 1850?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

what newgrfs to use when starting in 1850?

Post by CrimsonW »

Which addons do I have to use if I want to start from about 1850 and to have some vehicles but the graphic to be good even with extra zoom , and the buildings also to look older , the have many industries , the towns to have a different growing system and new vehicules and buldings to be available beyond 2050. Also where can I enable the possibility to buy the other companies ? Thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Some questions

Post by planetmaker »

Transport Tycoon does not support any add-ons.

If you mean another game like OpenTTD, its forum section is the appropriate place to ask (I moved it there in a whiff of guessing)
Please also use a more speaking title than 'some questions'. I fixed it this time for you, too.

Generally, there's only very few NewGRFs which allow pleasant playing in 1850. Spontaneous come to my mind only FIRS, NARS, UKRS and egrvts. Maybe sailing ships.
CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

Re: what newgrfs to use when starting in 1850?

Post by CrimsonW »

Thanks for moving the post , I didnt knew where to post , FIRS have any version where the graphic when zooming max its better and where is that option that allows you to buy the other companies ? Thanks again.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CrimsonW wrote:Which addons do I have to use if I want to start from about 1850 and to have some vehicles but the graphic to be good even with extra zoom , and the buildings also to look older , the have many industries , the towns to have a different growing system and new vehicules and buldings to be available beyond 2050.
The answer, in short, is that you will most likely not have all of these things together, especially easily.

OpenTTD will let you start a game in 1850. There are no sets which provide any buildings specifically for this era. The FIRS industry set does provide a few industries with buildings designed in this era, but most of them are not, and you can't select which industries to turn off and on unless you want to enable manual industry placement only. If you do that with the goal of only including era-appropriate industry buildings, you're going to be extremely limited. There are a few 8-bpp sets which do include some early trains, but eGRVTS is the only one that provides horses for transportation, as the motor vehicle didn't come into existence until the 1890s. Once you get into the 1900s you start finding more NewGRFs that slowly begin expanding the options of vehicles.

There are also not a lot of sets geared towards the future. A few buildings in the ECS Vectors industry set become ultra-modern, but that's really it. There are only a few sets which provide futuristic road vehicles, and a few more futuristic planes such as in in AV8, and a very few number of futuristic monorail and maglev trains.

There's yet another complication to throw in... even if you accept playing with these limited NewGRFs, it will take quite a few of them to achieve your goal of playing a game from 1850 to beyond 2050. There is a hard-coded limit of 64 (I believe) NewGRFs in the default OpenTTD build. You may not be able to include all the NewGRFs that you want. Your only way around this would be to learn how to compile/build your own version of OpenTTD which removes this limit, or use an altered "patch pack" set which has already removed them. In either case, you'll only be able to play such games on your own and not in multiplayer, and you'll only be able to share any save games with others who are running the exact copy of OpenTTD that you are. With a patch pack, you'll also have to accept playing with whatever additional features the set's author has included.

When you say, "but the graphic to be good even with extra zoom", if you're expecting 32-bpp sprites, you're going to be disappointed here as well. There is only one 32-bpp base set, zBase, which is still not yet complete, and only provides for buildings that maybe can be used as early as the 1920s for a compatible style. There are a couple of building and vehicle sets in 32-bpp, but none of them in the 1850s era again. 32-bpp graphics are only a recent addition to OpenTTD, and due to the complexity, computer resources and time it takes to create them, there are only a few artists who have been available to create them.

I won't say it's impossible to achieve what you're looking for, but it will likely be very difficult, and you may not be entirely happy with what you have to settle for in order to get there. You'll likely have to be very considerate as to what NewGRFs you do add, since once you start a game with a NewGRF, you cannot add or remove any more (at least, not easily and not without expecting complications which include corrupting your game and making it permanently unplayable).
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I do have a game running from 1800. The main GRFs that I use :

- eGRTVS 2.0 - r181 (nightly, you can use the one in the ingame content downloader instead)
- HEQS
- Sailing Ships
- FISH 2 (version r941M, not sure if Andy or somebody else have released a stable)
- Early Rails - adds horse-drawn trains, also experimental steam engine. Not in BaNaNaS (ingame content downloader), link
- UKRS 2 and addons
- TaI Basic Industries and Houses - keeping your towns small
- av8 (so airplanes appears earlier)

For more than 2050, I suggest Monolev Replacement Set and Vacuum Tube NewGRFs. The first add more vehicle to the existing Monorail and Maglev while the second adds a monorail-like Vacuum Tube rails, the trains can go to speeds up to 2,000 km or something. Very expensive, but if you do survive to such dates, you'll probably have a lot of money to spend.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CrimsonW »

Ok , thanks for the reply. About the options to buy the other transport companies , is it still available ?
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

It's always avaliable (I think), but only if you have other companies operating of course.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CrimsonW »

I play against 5 or more AI and one of them build 2 airports near the town I started my company and I just want to buy his company to destroy that two airports , but for every AI the buy 25% is not clickable.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

CrimsonW wrote:I play against 5 or more AI and one of them build 2 airports near the town I started my company and I just want to buy his company to destroy that two airports , but for every AI the buy 25% is not clickable.
I do believe the company has to be of a certain age before it can be fully bought out. 6 years rings a bell
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

jvassie wrote:
CrimsonW wrote:I play against 5 or more AI and one of them build 2 airports near the town I started my company and I just want to buy his company to destroy that two airports , but for every AI the buy 25% is not clickable.
I do believe the company has to be of a certain age before it can be fully bought out. 6 years rings a bell
That. And it must be a single-player game. On multiplayer servers buying out competitors does not work.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

jvassie wrote:6 years rings a bell
Ooh, now I know when to do it :P
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CrimsonW »

Im playing singleplayer game but with AI that I tooked with "check online content" and there are few with even more than 10 years in the game and I still cannot buy them.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Are you allowed to buy shares (check adv. settings)?
allow_shares = false
CrimsonW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CrimsonW »

Thanks , that option it was off from the advance settings. Is there any addon with industry , vehicle or town that has 32 bit graphics ?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

CrimsonW wrote:Is there any addon with industry , vehicle or town that has 32 bit graphics ?
There aren't many. See: http://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32 ... cs#NewGRFs
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”