"Lost" train on straight track?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrapplerBot
Engineer
Engineer

"Lost" train on straight track?

Post by GrapplerBot »

So I'm making a large central transfer station for a bunch of industries as practice for switching and switchyards. So far it's been going very smoothly, trains are flowing well.

I needed a sawmill though, so I funded one straight in front of one of the sides of my central station. Two straight tracks with passing crosses for multiple trains to run, relatively short distance. But when I made a lumber train, it claimed it is "lost" and it just sits in the middle of my yard... on the rail to the sawmill. It doesn't even move, even though there are no switches blocking it. I tried deleting it and creating another train, same problem. I tried adding a third rail to give it more paths, still gets stuck (or when it doesn't get stuck, it goes to a station in a completely opposite direction.) I checked all my tracks and they are all intact, none are missing.

Why is it getting stuck? I've got trains running much, much longer tracks that share passing lines with other industries and they've never had a problem.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: "Lost" train on straight track?

Post by planetmaker »

Generally for these type of questions: One savegame saves a thousand words :-)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

While waiting for the savegame, you're not trying to run an electric train on non-electric tracks, are you?
zilber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zilber »

Seems it still actual problem, I have quite straight forward path, where trains are lost and trying to reverse for some reason.
Is it possible to fix anyway? Can't upload .sav, due to the limitations of the forum, but can deliver it via e-mail or any other way.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

trains reverse if they wait too long at a red signal. this will often cause them to get lost.
zilber
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zilber »

Not in my case trains don't have any red signals on the way, they just trying to reverse at first junction which can allow it
BR 143
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BR 143 »

I've got a somehow similar problem. I'm a newbie though. I've build a simple two-track layout like =XAX====XBX====XCX=, where A, B and C are stations with two tracks and X is a cross to make switching between the tracks possible. I've got two trains, one is running from B to C and back and one from A to C and back. I've got also Signals, "One-way Path Signal", like this =SXAXS==S==SXBXS==S==SXCXS=, where each S means two signals, one for each track. So the Train can turn after loading/unloading in the station and go back to its next station, always at the right track. So far everything worked as expected.

Then I extended this tiny network like this: =SXAXS==S==SXBXS==S==SXCXS==S==SXDXS= and set a third train to go between A und D. And now something strange happened: My new train started spinning at the dead end of A, or when it finally went to B and arrived short before B, it turned at the X before the station and went back to A. Technically, there is no signal in the network to prevent this, but it's totally stupid, since this is not the way to D. It just should have waited a little, till one of the other trains would make space for the third train on its way to D.

I did not come up with a solution for this and I ask myself, if I should build exclusive tracks for every relation I want to do some transports with?
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

perhaps SxSASXS etc. would be better :shock:

ie. signals at each end of the platforms facing the platforms.

A save game or screen shot would help those trying to help but here is ascreen shot that may help.
Hendhead Transport, 1951-01-25.png
Attachments
Hendhead Transport, 1951-01-25.png
(1.96 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”