GetBankBalance returning halved value?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

GetBankBalance returning halved value?

Post by srschacher »

Hi.

I'm playing version 1.8.0.

I'm testing a modification to an existing game script, and I'm noticing that the function "GSCompany.GetBankBalance(...)" is returning 89600 when my company's balance on the income statement is 179,200.

Is this number purposely scaled in half in the main OpenTTD code? I don't see any reference to that in the API documentation.

Thanks,
Steve
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: GetBankBalance returning halved value?

Post by planetmaker »

It depends on what currency you use to display your bank balance. The GS functions return the internal money value which is not scaled to any currency (which equals GBP)

https://wiki.openttd.org/Currency
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Thanks, I did not know that.

I'm using USD. I noticed that the update balance was also doubling the value that I used.

So what is the proper process for using the currency? If I want to assess a 10% penalty on the current balance, how do I know what the scaling factor is? Do I care, or do I just operate on the internal values?

Thanks,
Steve
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

srschacher wrote:Thanks, I did not know that.

I'm using USD. I noticed that the update balance was also doubling the value that I used.

So what is the proper process for using the currency? If I want to assess a 10% penalty on the current balance, how do I know what the scaling factor is? Do I care, or do I just operate on the internal values?

Thanks,
Steve
A GS doesn't need to worry about currency of clients. 10% are the same 10% - irrespective of what units you use to display it. The conversion of the money to a currency displayed is done by the display routines of OpenTTD, outside any scripts or NewGRFs.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Thanks.

What was confusing me was displaying the raw data in debug logs to trace the new code. I thought something was wrong, but now I understand what is going on.

Steve
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

If you want to avoid this confusion there's two things you can do:

a) choose to play with British Pounds as currency
b) create your own currency which has a conversion factor of 1 wrt the internal money.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”