You speak in riddles.
First you want to "install", now you want to "open". What is "it" in your last post? a .grf file, the wiki web-page, openttd, ttdpatch, ?
What **exactly** are you trying to **achieve**?
Please assume I am an idiot and explain it as precise as you can.
All I want is to manually install or (whatever the **** was), open the grfs and put it into the opentdd file, so how do you do it? Do you open a program? Do you download something (apart from the NewGrfs) or something else?
P.S. My english is bad.
If you could 'open' a newgrf, what do you expect to happen?
First of all, if you guys could read your own links you could read that he's doing what he's told:
Your own link ask us to OPEN the file, yes 'OPEN' the GRF!!!
I'm 26 and I've been TTRYING to follow the instructions for an hour!
1. Download the NewGRF (.grf) file.
2. Move (and uncompress) the NewGRF file to the newgrf directory of your OpenTTD installation. ******** (UNCLEAR)
I have tried to put both the whole folder AND the .grf directly into "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\OpenTTD\newgrf", restarted my game, and the "NewGRF Settings" does not detect any files, I tried downloading from online, manually droppign them there, nothing.
I tried googling it (I only find guys like you who just say "cant you follow the link" and then contradicts what the link actually says)
1. Put the grf file in the correct directory (read the readme from the link planetmaker gave you).
2. Start OpenTTD, click on "NewGRF settings" in the main menu and the NewGRF there.
Yeaht he list is completly empty!
Voyager One wrote:
Step by step:
1. Download the NewGRF wherever you want.
2. Open Windows Explorer, go to that GRFs folder and unzip it.
3. Copy it into your OTTD's Data
4. Start OTTD.
5. OTTD will say "Scanning for NewGRFs" - wait.
6. On the opening title menu click on "NewGRF Settings".
7. A window for NewGRFs will open - the upper black box shows currently used GRFs, the lower box shows all available GRFs.
8. Double-click (or one-click + "Add" button) on a GRF which you want to use (lower box).
9. That GRF will show in the upper box and will be loaded into your game.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for more GRFs you want to use.
11. After you're done, click "Apply changes" button.
12. Close that NewGRF window ("x" on the upper left corner).
13. Click "New Game" button or "Scenario Editor" button, depending what you want to do.
Did I miss anything? Devs, feel free to copy this on wiki...
What is the 'data' folder, it doesnt exist in my game folders nowhere?!?.
P.S. Please dont say "dont bump an old post". It's the first result in Google and so it needs to be updated to working instructions.