Multiplayer creating my own server

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

alex2000
Engineer
Engineer

Multiplayer creating my own server

Post by alex2000 »

Hi there. I'm sure this has probably been asked already somewhere else on the forums, but I have looked everywhere and haven't found anything yet.

My friend and I would like to play open ttd together online. He has a PC and I have a Mac. We have successfully connected via servers already visible but would like to play on our own and with one of us having full control over the settings etc (so we basically need to host the server). We have tried in vain, googled, been on wikis etc to try and find out how to host but nothing seems to work. Occasionally we find our own hosted servers on the main list but either they are invisible to the other person or they have no options next to them.

Would anyone be able to help us change some settings maybe using the console to try and fix it. None of us are very computer savvy but I managed to change a few settings like server advertise etc. Maybe i'm missing some instructions. I understand that you need to set up port forwarding but I'm not sure how to do that. I changed my port number but nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks very much

Alex
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Multiplayer creating my own server

Post by romazoon »

When your server is allready in the list but not accessible for other people, you may want to disable your firewall (i had the same problem and that s how i fixed it)
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

...or its to do with port forwarding on your router.

If you not tech savi (or just dont want to bother with that) and its only the two of you playing you could use Hamachi to make a virtual network between the two of you, so then its like playing over a Lan, not the internet.
alex2000
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alex2000 »

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Thank you romazoon, the firewall is a good place to start. I allowed any incoming and outgoing ( I think) connections when the game first started and I double checked that my firewall wasn't blocking the connections. My friend did something simliar.

I will definitely try your suggestion Ploes. I say i'm not tech savvy but I think thats mostly in computer language, dos, etc. So I could probably work out how to do port forwarding (if I new what ports and maybe the password for my router settings which I don't have access to. But Hamachi seems like it would do the trick. Thank you in advance it could prove to be very useful not just for open ttd

Thanks

Alex
Yick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yick »

I'm having the same problem. I've Port Forwarded ports 3977-3979, but my game still doesn't show up in the master list for my friend. I've tried turning off Windows Firewall also, and making sure it's set to "advertize". Any other suggestions? when I type showclients (or whatever the command is) in the console in game, it shows my IP as 0.0.0.0. Does that indicate anything? also, how do I see the IP of my game after I've created it? Any and all help is appreciated.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Yick wrote:I've Port Forwarded ports 3977-3979
- Have you forwarded both UDP and TCP?
- Did you maybe got a new local IP from your DHCP without updating your forwarding rules?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Yick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yick »

I still can't get it to work.

Is it possible to host a game on my own public server? How would I go about doing that?

Or, more generally, is there a good workaround for this problem?
MartyLake
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MartyLake »

This topic seems to be old, but maybe you don't have the same version of the game ?

I had the same issue when I tried to play with a friend (both PC), I had the 32bpp build, and he had the normal one. We had to copy the game from one PC to the other and it worked like a charm !

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”