Bigger Airports

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

Bigger Airports

Post by Peterisgb »

Airports, there way to small for me, i dunno about you but i run A LOT when it comes to transport, as you will be able to see from my screenshot,

this is the main airport, it has the typical runways but i run more planes from the airport than the largest airport can handle, i have tried adding a airport next to another airport and that dont work, plus i need it to have more runways, i dunno a 18x22 grid instead of a 9x11 grid, with more runways,

or is it possible to change the code or summin to allow 2 air ports next to eachother and disableing how many airports can be made in a town as i

have 2 airports already which is also buzzing with planes making profit, so can this be done? ?(
Attachments
Transport Tycoon Main Airport.png
(317.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Bigger Airports

Post by planetmaker »

Peterisgb wrote:Airports, there way to small for me, i dunno about you but i run A LOT when it comes to transport, as you will be able to see from my screenshot, this is the main airport, it has the typical runways but i run more planes from the airport than the largest airport can handle, i have tried adding a airport next to another airport and that dont work, plus i need it to have more runways, i dunno a 18x22 grid instead of a 9x11 grid, with more runways, or is it possible to change the code or summin to allow 2 air ports next to eachother and disableing how many airports can be made in a town as i have 2 airports already which is also buzzing with planes making profit, so can this be done? ?(
Random new lines in a chain sentence don't make for good formating. Using a period "." between logical units makes usually sense. And avoiding slang writing like "dunno" and "summin" (did anyone summon the evil demon of carelessness?) - they don't help readibility either. I'm not a native speaker and so are most of the readers here, and I don't know every (youth) slang abbreviation or distortion of words which might be used at every single place in the world.

On topic:
a) it's possible, but it would require both, newgrf airports to be implemented and someone writing an airports newgrf with an airport to fit your desire.
b) I don't consider two airports part of one station desirable. Planes are pure money makers anyway. Use trains, if the airport cannot cope with it. Trains are way more efficient.
Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peterisgb »

planetmaker wrote:
Peterisgb wrote:Airports, there way to small for me, i dunno about you but i run A LOT when it comes to transport, as you will be able to see from my screenshot, this is the main airport, it has the typical runways but i run more planes from the airport than the largest airport can handle, i have tried adding a airport next to another airport and that dont work, plus i need it to have more runways, i dunno a 18x22 grid instead of a 9x11 grid, with more runways, or is it possible to change the code or summin to allow 2 air ports next to eachother and disableing how many airports can be made in a town as i have 2 airports already which is also buzzing with planes making profit, so can this be done? ?(
Random new lines in a chain sentence don't make for good formating. Using a period "." between logical units makes usually sense. And avoiding slang writing like "dunno" and "summin" (did anyone summon the evil demon of carelessness?) - they don't help readibility either. I'm not a native speaker and so are most of the readers here, and I don't know every (youth) slang abbreviation or distortion of words which might be used at every single place in the world.

On topic:
a) it's possible, but it would require both, newgrf airports to be implemented and someone writing an airports newgrf with an airport to fit your desire.
b) I don't consider two airports part of one station desirable. Planes are pure money makers anyway. Use trains, if the airport cannot cope with it. Trains are way more efficient.

yh i have done one with trains, had a 10 track station and 100 tracks going into the station with most lines being used to other towns making money, i personally think trains are abit messy sometimes especially when i mainly build my HQ in the mosy populated cityso need bigger airport because what i do is kill most of all the outside towns and then bring all the people into the main city but has anything like this be done and would anyone ever make it for free
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

100 tracks??? Sounds like you build point-to-point instead of rail networks. With networks you will not need 100 tracks to outrun the capacity of a 10 platform station.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

A rough guideline is that one incoming track needs about 5 ... 7 station tracks and it will never jam due to insufficient station capacity. If it does, it's bad track design, especially on the part where trains leave the station. Obviously 5 ... 7 station tracks also only need one out-going track...
yoshi2093
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yoshi2093 »

I think the airports are to small for me as well
Peterisgb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Peterisgb »

yoshi2093 wrote:I think the airports are to small for me as well
yeah, i have about 4-20 planes flying round and round and round non stop. need more runways lol
kingck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingck »

agreed we need connecting or bigger airports!!
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

I disagree.
then again I feel that just spamming planes lacks any real skill (and therefore anything fun)
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what we actually need is more control over the landing/starting schedule, like timetabling the wait time in the loop.
Robbedem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Robbedem »

I don't think larger airports will solve the problem. The existing airports (mainly the intercontinental one) need to be more efficiënt or have a smaller catchment area. Now it is impossible to transport even half of the passengers and mail generated in the catchment area of the intercontinental airport by only using airplanes. Even with a train station attached it can be difficult.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Just build two airports. If you overlap the catchment areas, the passengers will split themselves roughly evenly (presuming equal station ratings) between the two airports.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
mastamage22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mastamage22 »

Jacko wrote:I disagree.
then again I feel that just spamming planes lacks any real skill (and therefore anything fun)
spawning stuff is fun, for the guy that is just spectating XD

but otherwise, just spawning stuff is pretty stupid. the biggest airport can hold 8 planes at the same time, concerning that a player must make sure to have a max of 8 planes wanting to go to the same airport at once.

having more airports on 1 line makes the capacity grow, as well as distance.

when i start airtraffic, i use 1 or 2 aircraft max, and use a short train to get people moving if it is insufficient, to prevent appalling ratings
Samu
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Samu »

Wow, you guys want even bigger airports? Like those there aren't big enough!!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it's not about size, it's about capacity. and the capacity of the builtin airports is ridiculously low...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”